Starting college for some can be an overwhelming experience, but one way to overcome that feeling is to create a space that feels like home. Your first college experience is decorating your room on move-in day. With such little space provided and having another person in the room with you, organizing your room can be difficult. This is why I am here with tips to help you organize your dorm room for optimal space!

Picture1The first step to getting optimal space is lofting your bed. I know many people say how they hate their beds lofted and it sucks climbing up into bed every night, but if you want as much space in your room as possible this is your best option. A lofted bed on both sides of the room creates a space for a futon to be put underneath, TV, mini fridge, or basically anything you want. A futon is essential to this setup! It is a great place for friends to hang out without being in your bed. It is also a great place if someone wants to sleep over since you just pull it out into a bed and it is perfect for a good night’s sleep. I had this set up starting off my Freshman year of college and it was the best decision I made. It was the perfect hangout spot and an even better place to relax after a long day of classes or work. I highly recommend lofting your bed for extra seating and storage space in your room.

Another essential is a T.V stand with a storage area or a moveable cart with storage drawers. When the beds are lofted they are at the perfect height to fit a T.V on a stand underneath! A TV stand with storage

2gives you extra space to store your movies, Xbox and other necessities you might have stored in the different compartments. A moveable storage cart is also helpful if you would want to store food in the drawers, kitchen supplies, or bathroom supplies. The movable cart is very useful if you need to move it out of the way or if you need to bring it somewhere else! It’s a great place to store anything you need to put away. Personally, I use it for food storage and it keeps everything organized that doesn’t have to be refrigerated. It is a great storage place for snacks, plates, utensils, and much more.

Last but not least, make your room feel like home. Bring pictures and hang them on the wall, put up some3 cool lights, and make your room as unique as you are. A dorm room should feel like a home away from home; make sure you are comfortable and have things that remind you of where you came from. I have pictures of my friends and family on the wall along with a calendar that has all of the events I have going on throughout the month. My roommate has pictures up as well but also has inspirational quotes that help keep both of us motivated! It is a great way to bring a little bit of home with 4you.

Command hooks will also be your new best friend. They can help hang up frames, calendars, backpacks, and anything else you can think of! Use them as much as you can! They are easy to use and very easy to take down without removing any paint from your wall!

I hope this gives you an idea of how to organize your room for the most optimal space! Starting college can really stress you out when you don’t know how to organize your first dorm room, but with these few tips you will have no problem creating a space that makes you feel like you’re at home! Enjoy your time in college, Warhawks. It goes by fast!