If you’re like me, freshman year can be a bit overwhelming. Going from being confined to a high school classroom, to being completely independent is a lot to adjust to, you may start to feel homesick. Not because you miss living with your parents, but because you miss having nice home cooked meals. Ramen and Hot Pockets get old quick. Especially now in October, there are endless cravings of fall treats that aren’t readily available to you while living the dorm life. With a little research, I found two fall favorites that only require a microwave and a coffee cup!

untitled

Pumpkin Pie Mug Cake

The first recipe I found was for a pumpkin pie mug cake. This recipe is super easy to make and super tasty to eat! With only four ingredients, this mug cake is sure to please your pumpkin cravings on a cool Autumn day.

What you’ll need,

• 6 Tablespoons of cake mix (vanilla or white works, I used classic white)
  • 2 Tablespoons of pumpkin puree
  • 1 Tsp of pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 Tablespoons of water

(if you don’t have measuring spoons in your dorm, you can always check them out from the front desk)

This recipe is very simple and straight forward! Simply mix all these ingredients in your coffee cup! A fork works just fine as a mixing device, just make sure to stir everything until it’s smooth. Make sure that there isn’t any powder left at the bottom of your cup! Then pop it in the microwave for 2 minutes and voila! You have a hot and ready to eat pumpkin cake! To make this recipe even better, you could add whipped cream or a caramel sauce on top!

1

Apple Crisp in a Mug

For my next recipe I wanted something similar to my favorite fall treat. Apple crumb cake! I was able to find a recipe for apple crisp in a mug! This recipe, like the pumpkin cake, was very easy to make and delicious!

What you’ll need,

One apple of your choice (I used a Granny Smith)

• 6 Tablespoons of flour
  • 6 Tablespoons of quick oats
  • 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons of butter
  • A teaspoon of cinnamon
  • A pinch of salt

This recipe required a few more steps then the pumpkin cake, but it’s definitely worth it!

1. Cut the apple into small slices (up to you whether you want to peel the apple or not! I left the skin on for simplicity sake)
  2. Put the apples in a coffee cup and microwave them for 60 seconds
  3. In a separate container combine all of the other ingredients and mix together (a fork will work)
  4. When apples are done, stir them and sprinkle your crumb mixture on top.
  5. Microwave everything together for another 30 seconds
  6. If you wish, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top to make your apple crumb cake ala mode!

6

0

Thank you so much for reading, good luck to you navigating cooking in your dorm and good luck to you the rest of the school year!

Recipes found on the following websites

http://www.thegunnysack.com/pumpkin-mug-cake-recipe/

http://www.lifeatcloverhill.com/2013/10/apple-crisp-mug.html