It’s that time of the semester…summer savings are running out, the holiday season is upon us, and you need a job to balance out your bank account. You’re in luck! The UC is hiring for spring semester. Hold it, the UC is much more than cash in your pocket. Let’s see if I can convince you.

You might think that working at the UC is just a “campus job”. Well, I would like to give you a brief background about what it actually means to be a UC student employee. The UC focuses on student development to help students grow and gain valuable experience for the workforce.

Top 3 Reasons You Should Consider Working at the UC

Choosing only 3 reasons why you should consider working at the UC was incredibly difficult, but here are my personal top 3 reasons why you should apply for this great opportunity!

1)     Building relationships

Networking and building relationships are two of the most important takeaways I’ve gotten from the UC. I’ve had the opportunity to collaborate with various departments at UW-Whitewater and meet many amazing people. It’s important to value these relationships because the initial connection could potentially lead to something in the future. From the social perspective, I’ve made many great friends from different departments within the UC. Additionally, supervisors and other professional staff that I interact with can serve as a reference when I’m trying to land my first job.

2)     Stress relief

How can work be a source of stress relief? I have found that my brain most definitely needs a break from the stress of classes. Doing something other than classwork such as getting a job at the UC has allowed me to focus on something else other than classes. Therefore, I find my work at the UC to be a way for me to alleviate my overall stress.

3)     Work experience

Experience. Experience. Experience. We have all heard this over and over that you need to focus on getting work experience while in college. Well, working at the UC is a perfect solution! Each position is unique in its own way and will enhance your work experience based on the responsibilities. You will be able to apply what you learn in the classroom to your job and vice versa, which sums up one word, L.E.A.P. (Liberal Education & America’s Promise Initiative). Don’t get scared by the big acronym. You’ll learn more about the importance  of L.E.A.P. to the UC later.

To see more UC student employees talk about why they like working for the UC, check out these cool videos on the UC’s YouTube channel!

How to Learn More about the UC

Before applying, make sure to check out the University Center’s YouTube channel to view short snippets about the position that interests you. This is a great way to get a better understanding of what the responsibilities and duties are of each position.

If you’re feeling extra outgoing, then stop a UC employee and ask them any questions that you might have! They’ll be more than happy to discuss their job.

Lastly, check out the UC’s newly redesigned website that will tell you everything from the history to what events are happening in the building.

How to Apply (You must be convinced!)

Finally, how to apply. The University Center uses Hawk Jobs for all hiring. Click here to get to the login page. From there, you will be able to view all current openings!

Remember to submit your resume along with your application, otherwise you will NOT be considered for employment. If you need assistance with creating or editing your resume, be sure to take advantage of the resources that the Career & Leadership Development department offers by clicking here! They will be more than happy to setup an appointment to review your resume and do a mock-interview.

The application deadline is THIS Friday, October 24 at 4:30 pm.

My job at the UC has enabled me to grow personally, professionally, and socially. I’ve been able to grow as a student in the classroom and in other involvements. I would highly encourage you to apply for this opportunity for a fun and rewarding experience. Becoming a part of the UC family is one of the greatest decisions that you can make for the present and future.