Research Paper UPDATE

For my research paper, I plan to focus on the impact Twitter is having on the journalism field. Journalism has significantly changed ever since the digital age took off in the United States. Twitter has had a huge role just how much traditional journalism has changed. Most, if not all, media outlets now have a Twitter account to either tweet or retweet breaking news stories, as well as doing the same for other newsworthy events. And a lot of those tweets or retweets have links that directly send the viewer to the actual online story. Not only is Twitter changing the role for journalists, but it is doing the same for consumers as well because they don’t need to purchase a newspaper anymore to get the latest news. I plan to have my research paper examine both the positive and negative impacts Twitter is having on journalism. I already have found at least three scholarly articles do use in the paper.

The biggest barrier I will encounter in my paper is keeping my opinion out of it. This will be my first research paper where I simply analyze what the three journal articles are talking about. This is what I also discussed with Connor and Cal in class last week, where they mentioned they are probably going to have similar issues. Other than that, the three of us had a solid discussion of what we plan to do and we look forward to keep digging deeper into our research topics.

I am personally looking forward to researching more about my topic choice because with me being a journalism major, I feel the research would give me additional information about how to handle the impact Twitter is having on journalism and potentially what to expect in the future when I hopefully get a job in this field.