The Ahamkara

And thus the Ahamkara were made extinct, their call silenced, their solipsistic flatteries erased, their great design – if it ever existed – broken. Of this you can be assured, oh reader mine. ” – Unknown

young_ahamkara_s_spine__destiny_by_shadowfallworkshop-daa90w1

Young Ahamkara’s spine- gauntlets 

I have been taking a much needed break from field work, after the hectic week of the Iron banner it is good to get back to my books. After my extensive studies of The Book of Sorrows and Vex networking, I have decided to look into something more mythical if you will, the Ahamkara. The Ahamkara were a species that first appeared in our solar system after the Traveler arrived and based on their remains, the Ahamkara were avian or draconic in appearance, possessing scales and sharp beaks. They were studied on Venus by the Ishtar Academy due to their unique genome, which contained unknown new proteins, the golden age’s dragons they called them. However The Book of Sorrows (a compendium of the Hive’s history) depicts them as more parasitic in nature, and almost related to the Hive’s worm gods. The books also suggest the Ahamkara didn’t just appear in out solar system but had been following the Traveler as far back as millions of years.

What sets these “dragons” apart from any normal creature is the are said to have a certain level of psionic powers, influencing the minds of others with thoughts of their own. What I found most interesting is that some archives have records of these abilities continuing even after death, mean their bones alone can hold a small amount of their power and some personality. This is particularly problematic for guardians considering we have a bad habit of decoration out armor with these bones. Records show that these “dragons’ were said to be wish-fulfilling and as a result were sought out by many guardians of that time in search of knowledge and power, but after much debate and the differences of guardians growing, it was decided that the bargains made with these creatures came at too high a price. This began the movement know as The Great Hunt, that resulted in these creatures extinction.

Destiny_Skull_of_Dire_Ahamkara

A few hundred years later  and rumors of survivors start to emerge and even said to be spotted around Jupiter and its moons. With rumors poping up more frequently these days I decided to learn what I could about these ancient wish dragons, the few recorded encounters I found are not for the faint of heart.  A fragment recovered from a dead ghost, that of a warlock.

Why did I set her on the trail?

You try and try to explain, but no one ever understands. No one who’s not a Warlock. Who hasn’t spent a dozen years scouring the ruins for one string of symbols, one clean code, one black talon. Titans just make a hmphing noise, if they’ve stayed awake. Hunters clean their nails with their knives and look at you like you’ve grown a third eye. But when you’ve spent your life searching through arcana for ancient power, you have the urge to reach out and educate others. Especially if you’ve had one too many. Nah, she’s not my type at all. We’ve played dice, cards, war games, you know, the usual stuff. I’d never tried to show off before. I don’t know what came over me. I had a broken vertebrae in my pocket that I’d borrowed from – yes, borrowed, I was going to put it back – what do you think you are, my conscience? It was a fossil, that means mineral replacement, a rock, basically. They can survive a few hours in my pocket. Do shut up. The Cryptarchs weren’t going to miss it. Everyone knows the Ahamkaras were hunted to extinction. There’s nothing to be afraid of anymore. Think of how mysterious this system is, I said. How much life sprang up when the Traveler came. Like the Ahamkara. Do you know the legends? The dragon that made promises? And I pulled out the fossil with a flourish. She pulled out her knife and started to pick the dirt from her nails. That set me off. You could never have brought down one of these, Isaid. Ever. Not the greatest Hunter, not the brawniest Titan. Her eyes narrowed. She said, Oh? Is that so? And I saw right then that she wasn’t going to pass on the challenge.

I’ve murdered a Guardian, I thought. She’s going to die. It’ll be my fault. And I looked at the piece of spine in my hand and wondered – why did I say that? What moved me to such pride?

With this I discovered that the name “Ahamkara” comes from the Sanskrit term for attachment to one’s ego. I will continue my research but there is not much here regarding them, perhaps… I’ll consider seeking out their remains… in pursuit of further….  knowledge. . .

garrett-post-lastgreatahamkara-v2

No Comment