While reading though the article “Is Google Making Us Stupid?” by Nicholas Carr, it really forced me to stop and think about just how much I glaze over readings.  I spend so much time getting the basic understanding of what I am reading instead of actually taking the time to sit down and understand the material.  It is reassuring to know that I am not the only one who gets lost in the words sometimes.  I have experienced times where I think I read an entire page, only to have to reread it just because I didn’t actually understand what I read.  I will go through too quickly and just read the words, not understand the meaning.

It is true that we rely on the internet too much.  If I have any question in the galaxy I can just google it and within seconds I will have my answer.  We have become lazy with our quest for knowledge, only going as deep as a google search sometimes instead of actually learning about the subject matter.  Sometimes we get so lazy that we just call on Siri to tell us the answer to our question.  Things like this are things that we take for granted and abuse.  Bruce Friedman was quoted saying, “I now have almost totally lost the ability to read and absorb a longish article on the web or in print” and I couldn’t agree more.  I feel like reading something longer isn’t worth the while anymore and that is pretty sad.  As long as we as humans don’t rely on technology to answer all our questions, we can stay smart and active in our quest for knowledge.