Uncategorized

Stride for Perfection

Week 10/16/2020

For today’s post we will talk about the Hunter Under Saddle class and some small tips you may not notice that could help you remain consistently successful or become higher noted on the judges card. We will look at the article by Julie Winkel from equestriancoach.com. Her first comment regards your first impression. Don’t be afraid to be the first one in the class. This will show the judge(s) that you are on time and fully prepared. 

Julie’s second piece of advice is “know where the judge is.” If the judge is in the ring no matter what, do not try to get close to them. They will feel like they are being run over. But overall make sure you and the judge(s) have the best view of each other. While you are aware of where your judge is, be prepared for your own path with other competitors. Provide enough room and keep looking ahead. This can also help you monitor other horse’s behaviors so you can steer clear of any horses that are acting up. 

One point I would like to share is to make sure you remain relaxed and don’t make it look like any movements are being forced. Flaunt your horse’s best qualities but don’t ever risk any decisions or movements if you’re not confident it will result positively.

2 Comments

• Brianna Olstad

Hi Holly!

I am pretty unfamiliar with horseback riding. However, I am surprised by the tips and techniques you provided! I would be most worried about the horse’s behavior, even if the judges were outside the ring. I had ridden horses when I was younger, but I know I couldn’t control one! Overall, I really enjoyed reading the tips you shared for the Hunter Under Saddle class.