Food Shopping

Buying Fruits and Veggies

The more color, the better!

I don’t know about everyone else, but I love me some fresh fruits and veggies! Something about the bright colors, the juiciness, the healthy feeling after eating really gets to me. I have loved fruits and veggies for as long as I can remember. Maybe it was growing up with a backyard garden, or my parents were big on having them around the house, but whatever it was, but thankful for it.

If I could, I would grow a majority of the fruits and veggies I consume, but that is not possible right now. I don’t exactly have the space to plant a garden and numerous trees due to living in a rented college house. Someday though…someday.

Not being able to grow my own produce forces me to shop at farmers markets and grocery stores. I personally think Costco has excellent produce, but if you don’t have one near you or a membership, an average grocery store will do. Now some are better than others, like Trader Joes, Woodman’s, Aldis, but if you have a Target or Walmart around, they will do just as good.

What I have learned from buying produce is that you want to get the most for what you’re paying for. Produce can be expensive and if you don’t consume it fast enough, it turns into a waste of money. Here are some tips I have when it comes to buying produce

1. Look before you buy: Make sure you check the produce before putting it in the cart. Look for bad spots or even mold. You don’t want to buy a whole container of strawberries to find out half of them are bad when you get home.
  2. Don’t by precut: Yes, it is much easier to buy presliced apples or cucumbers, but are they any better? The answer is no. They are usually more expensive and don’t stay as long. Cutting everything may seem like a hassle, but it’ll be better for you. Chemicals need to be used so those apples don’t turn brown after a few hours, and you don’t want those chemicals in your body. I also find it kind of soothing to buy tons of produce and cut it all up.
  3. Shop for in-season produce: Obviously, produce that is out of season is going to be more expensive. Now, I’m not saying you should never buy out of season because that would be ridiculous. I’m saying to keep that in mind when you’re paying $4 for a tiny pint of blueberries.