Secondhand, Shopping, Sustainable Fashion

Things I Don’t Thrift…

So there are some things, I just don’t thrift. There, I said it. I have already told you all, that I don’t thrift undergarments, except if it’s something like a brand new sports bra, or brand new socks, etc. However, there are some things I just can’t thrift, even if I try really hard, and have to purchase brand new. This is a list of those items.

Snow boots- I live in Wisconsin; an awful and cold winter is inevitable. Therefore, you need heavy-duty snow boots. A lot of them that I have tried to thrift have cracks in them, are no longer waterproof, not my size or what I need. Since I have to buy them brand new, I invest in good boots so that I can have them for years.

Shoes- Shoes are weird. I can usually find some on sites like thredUp that fit, other times, I just have to buy them. I have a wide foot. I played soccer for a million years and I swear, my feet reflect that. So, for comfort and size, I have to buy shoes brand new. Since I do have to buy them brand new, I also invest in pairs I know I’ll wear for years.

Jeans- Jeans are also weird. I do usually buy jeans secondhand since I’m also on a weight-loss journey and jeans are usually the item that reflects that first. However, went I do down to a size I want to, I may buy some brand new because of the way they fit. I love American Eagle’s highest rise skinny jeans. They are actually tall enough in the torso so that they fit at my waist and now they come in “super short” which is my correct inseam–24 inches.

Hats, gloves, or mittens- Like I said, I’m from Wisconsin. It gets to be -60 degrees here, yes, that’s a negative sign in front of the 60. So most outerwear that I can thrift is made of wool. I have severely sensitive skin and it gives me hives. I still try and thrift pieces if they are not made of wool, but it doesn’t always happen.

Undergarments- No, just no. Unless it’s brand new, it’s not happening.

Overall, thrift first to see what you find. If you can’t find it, buy it new, but make sure it’s more of an investment piece– a piece you can wear for years.