Should Teacher’s Assign Homework?

Teaching and research go hand in hand. Teachers study and discuss research every day in their classes. In the future when I’m a teacher I will be researching information that I can integrate into my lessons and then studying and discussing it with my students.

There is a debate on whether or not students should be given homework. After doing some research of my own I believe that most homework should simply be work that did not get completed in class. Since I am an English Education major and plan on teaching at the high school level I understand that it is necessary to assign a certain level of homework. For example, papers are a necessary assignment because it is my job to teach my students how to write critically. However, it is not necessary to assign a two page paper every week. Instead, four papers per year is sufficient enough to teach the student the skills that they need and for the students to improve upon those skills. The homework that would be assigned on a day-to-day basis would be reading parts of a book that the class did not finish during class.

The reason I think homework should be limited is because too much of it can be detrimental to a student since many have extracurricular activities. According to Natalie Wolchover in her article, Too Much Homework is Bad for Kids, “data shows that in countries where more time is spent on homework, students score lower on a standardized test called the Program for International Student Assessment, or PISA”. The article also talks about how the study came to the same conclusions about students who spend more time on their homework. There are many more studies out there like this that prove giving students a lot of homework does not improve their grades and ability to master the subject, and in fact more homework can have a negative impact on the students’ work.

Citations

Brock, Cynthia H (2007). Does Homework Matter? An Investigation of Teacher Perceptions About Homework Practices for Children From Nondominant Backgrounds, Vol. 42 (4). 349-372. https://libproxy.uww.edu:4053/10.1177/0042085907304277

Hinchey, Pat. Why Kids Say They Don’t Do Homework, Vol. 69 (4).

Jianzhong, Xu (2009). Homework Purpose Scale for High School Students: A Validation Study, Vol. 70 (3). 459-476. https://libproxy.uww.edu:4053/10.1177/0013164409344517

Natalie Wolchover. (2012, March 30). Too Much Homework Is Bad For Kids. Retrieved February 6, 2017, from Live Science, http://www.livescience.com/19379-homework-bad-kids.html

One thought on “Should Teacher’s Assign Homework?”

1. Hi Sarah!

I completely agree with you that homework should be limited. I think it is important for students to be able to still be kids and have time for extracurricular activities. I understand that for some classes some homework is necessary, but I wonder if teachers who pile on the homework are being as effective as they can be in the classroom? As a future art teacher I will rarely assign homework because most of the work will be done in class. I think it is important for teachers to reflect on if the homework they are assigning is too much and if it is actually significant in their learning. Ohanian (2007) brings up the question “what’s all this homework overload doing to kids’ psyches?” (p. 41). I agree with you that too much homework can have negative affects on students and found the research you provided enlightening.

References
    Ohanian, S. (2007). The homework revolution. Encounter, 20(4), 40-43.