Handballs

Hi All- going forward, I will be adding information that may help you better understand the game of football. Hopefully, you will be able to take a few things away in order to make the game easier to watch.

For the first blog in this thread of rules/ information, the handball law will be covered. Handball when knowing nothing about it seems easy, but it is quite complex in the end. The rule states it as a foul and the play is blown dead by the whistle of the ref. How do you commit this offense? By using any part of your hand or forearm, up to your shoulder, to touch the ball or change the direction of the ball. With that being said, there are different severities of the handball foul. It can be perceived as accidental, resulting in a common foul, or it can be perceived as a yellow card offense depending on the deliberate nature of the handball. Lastly, it can be deemed a red card offense resulting in you getting ejected from the game and your team playing with 10 players instead of 11. This is the most extreme offense and is relatively rare. This typically happens when you are denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity resulting in the red card.

Lastly, the handball rule has changed drastically this year by the incorporation of VAR and an update to the law. The update states that no goal can be scored as a result of a handball whether accidental or deliberate. This has created issues within the game as it is very controversial when a defender touches it with his hand and is deemed accidental meanwhile, and accidental touch by an attacker rules out a goal no matter what.

This rule is ever-changing and will be reviewed once again in the summer by FIFA and will most likely change and clear up the confusion between players, referees, and fans.

14 Comments so far

1. Ryan on April 5th, 2020

After reffing for many years, I still will watch a game and disagree with some of the calls that the ref has about handball. I like that it has become more clear in the box with scoring, but i feel that the rule is still to gray. It needs to be more black and white with being a natural position or not.

2. Newlong Lor on April 6th, 2020

Thanks for the blog post! Honestly I wished I joined football during my high school years, because many people believed that I was fit for the sport! It’s interesting how some rules have changed over the past years though, but I hope you can keep us updated more about it, too! Thanks, again!

3. Logan Meyer on April 7th, 2020

I could see this handball foul getting out of hand, I can see many players accidentally doing it and getting mad at the refs for it. I feel that the sport was okay as it is, no changes needed. I am interested to see how it goes though once this whole COVID crisis passes by.

4. Cash Offer please on October 20th, 2021

Cash Offer please

Premier League Roundup

5. House Fast on October 21st, 2021

House Fast

Premier League Roundup

6. Companies that buy houses tacoma on October 22nd, 2021

Companies that buy houses tacoma

Premier League Roundup

7. we buy ugly houses Downey on November 2nd, 2021

we buy ugly houses Downey

Premier League Roundup

8. cashofferplease on November 22nd, 2021

cashofferplease

Premier League Roundup

9. betterhousebuyers on January 30th, 2022

betterhousebuyers

Premier League Roundup

10. rentacar on February 2nd, 2023

Premier League Roundup

goodf

11. ravi sharma on March 22nd, 2023

I have also witnessed different referee have different handball says. I still trade on the game at Saffron Exchange

12. saffronexch on May 15th, 2023

are there any variations or exceptions in this handball rule. certain times some refree treat it differently. i have to suffer at my bets then at saffronexch

13. lipa dua on May 22nd, 2023

The handball rule in football has been a subject of much debate and controversy. The interpretation of this rule has evolved over time, leading to mixed reactions from players, coaches, and fans. Understanding the handball rule is crucial for both football enthusiasts and sports bettors. Platforms like saffronexch , catering to sports betting exchange in India, provide a platform to discuss and analyze the impact of the handball rule on matches and betting outcomes. By staying updated and informed through saffronexch, enthusiasts can make well-informed decisions and enhance their overall football and betting experience.

14. saffronexchangeid on May 22nd, 2023

Understanding handballs in football is crucial for both players and fans. It’s fascinating to delve into the intricacies of this rule and its impact on the game. As a dedicated follower of football and an avid user of saffron exch, I appreciate how the platform takes into account these handball rulings in their betting options. saffron exch ensures a fair and transparent betting experience, making it a trusted choice for football enthusiasts. Keep up the great work, saffron exch! #saffronexch