Our Voices Our Town
  • Follow us:
  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
Thornton Wilder Focus of 5th annual Big Read – Twelve Area Libraries will be hosting events

Wisconsin native Thornton Wilder will be the focus of southeastern Wisconsin’s fifth Big Read.  The Young Auditorium with area libraries and community partners will engage the community in a diverse range of activities related to Thornton Wilder’s novel Bridge of San Luis Rey and the play Our Town.  The effort was awarded a $15,000 by The Big Read  a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest. The last year’s Big Read reached 2,351 children and 3,013 adults at over seventy events throughout southeastern Wisconsin.

For 2013 Big Read the theme of Our Voices, Our Town will open a community dialogue across our rural region of southeastern Wisconsin. We invite you to share your own thoughts and views as to how you define Your Town by visiting the Big Read website, www.ourvoicesourtown.com.

The Thornton Wilder Society notes that this year marks the 75th Anniversary of the first staged production of Our Town in 1938.  Our Town opened on Broadway on February 4 that year and later that spring, the play brought Wilder his second Pulitzer Prize. Seventy five years later, Our Town is still considered one of the great American plays, and not a night goes by that it is not performed somewhere in the United States or Canada.

Check your local library for their participation and event calendar.  Twelve area libraries have will be hosting events.  Updates will be available at the Big Read website:  http://www.ourvoicesourtown.com

One Response to “Thornton Wilder Focus of 5th annual Big Read – Twelve Area Libraries will be hosting events”

1. I’m impressed, I need to say. Actually rarely do I encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you will have hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the issue is something that not enough persons are speaking intelligently about. I’m very blissful that I stumbled throughout this in my search for something referring to this.