Module 5 Blog Post

While working as a SLP I plan to use motivation to encourage my patients to want to learn and get better. A while back it was brought to my attention that often times working with a child who has a speech issue it is difficult to gain their attention and willingness to learn because it most likely isn’t their decision to be there. What I mean by this is, due to a parent placing their child in therapy it tends to be more of the parents want for them to get better and not so much the child. Because of this issue I will need to find ways to motivate the child into learning and cooperating in order for them to succeed. I think it would be effective to use positive and negative reinforcement toward the child to either motivate them to do things the right way or to discourage them to do the wrong thing. I will assess them in ways that show progression with their speech and language development by using charts to track where they first began to where they are now. I will also give them one on one verbal tests and verbal instruction to complete a task. This will help me to understand what level they are learning at. I will set goals without the child around in order for me to have an idea of where they should be after a certain amount of sessions and then I will also set goals with the child in order for them to see what they need to work on and what they are doing better at. Learning centered methods will be very helpful in one on one therapy because I will be sure to engage the child the entire time and not just stand in front of them preaching at them. The session will be completely based on the child and involving child interaction. I can use backward design when helping my patient by accommodating to the different patient interests that I will encounter and also to help me have an idea of what to go over during certain sessions. I think it is important that backward design reinforces that “the challenge is to focus first on the desired learnings from which appropriate teachings will follow” (Grant Wiggins). I will avoid using only textbooks and time-honored activities while teaching and instead focus on the learning aspect of teaching.

Here is my lesson plan using backward design:

STAGE 1 – DESIRED RESULTS

Unit Title:  Students will be able to function in classroom settings while learning Spanish                                                                   

Established Goals: Students will be able to independently use their learning to function in school and classroom settings in the target language. This will serve as an introduction to language learning, provides the necessary skills to begin communication in the target language, and encourages curiosity and interest in language learning.

Understandings: Students will understand that-Languages cannot be translated on a word-to-word basis

-Spanish has its own unique alphabet, similar to English

-Spanish nouns have gender

-Greetings change based on time of day and the person who you are talking to

-Proper communication is important to effective communication

-Spanish has its own unique punctuation and accent marks

Essential Questions:How do I greet people appropriate to the time of day?

-How do I talk about the day, date and time?

-How do I say what the weather is like?

-How do I ask how someone is feeling?

-How do I say how I am feeling?

-How do I respond to my teachers directions?

-How do I spell in Spanish?

-How do I talk about things in a classroom?

Students will know:• Basic classroom vocabulary

-Greetings and good byes

-Introductions

-Forms of addresses

-Spanish alphabet

-Classroom commands

-Numbers 1-100

-Nouns

-Gender of nouns

Students will be able to:-Greeting people at different times of the day

-Introducing themselves

-Telling time

-Asking questions about new words and phrases

-Talking about a calendar

-Describing weather and seasons

-Comparing weather in different parts of the world

STAGE 2 – ASSESSMENT EVIDENCE

Performance Tasks:Students will show that they really understand by evidence of

-Interpretive task- be able to incorporate reading and listening

-Interpersonal speaking (greetings, introducing self, say the date, the time and weather)

-Interpersonal writing that includes emails and proper use of weather and birthday

-Theme project- students write a video script with a picture for a weather forecast for 2 different locations. They will use an iPad to record a screenshot of their forecast and show the class

-Integrated Performance Assessment that includes watching a video and discussing what they learned in the video and then presenting to the class.

Other Evidence:Students will show that they have achieved Stage 1 goals by

-Formative assessments

-Practice activities online

-Formative speaking and writing activities

-Summative Exam

Key Criteria:-Are all three types of goals addressed in the learning plan? (Acquisition, meaning and transfer)

-Does the learning plan reflect principles of learning and best practice?

-Is it effective in engaging all students?

STAGE 3 – LEARNING PLAN

Summary of Learning Activities: 

Begin with a hook- (Show a “YouTube” video “Why study Spanish in the 21st Century?”)

-Introduce questions- (have students brainstorm and then go over as a class while presenting the questions to the class)

-Preview the performance task- (Project done on iPad)

-Provide direct instruction- (Vocabulary phrases)

-Provide practice on the basics- (Listening, partner speaking tasks, in class activities, iPad activities)

-Provide opportunities for further discussion

-Provide an application task

-Lead a class discussion and provide small group application

-Assign the final performance

This lesson plan uses the backward design learning plan by first considering the learner and establishing goals and then considering how to teach them in an effective way that will help them to fully learn. This also helps demonstrate engaging the students in activities that will assess their learning in a way that portrays the larger purposes of the activities and tests. It helped me in designing my plan because I could fully understand what goals were to be accomplished and how the student will learn from the material given to them. It also helped me to be organized and ready for my patients.

2 thoughts on “Module 5 Blog Post”

1. Mariah,
    I find it very interesting, the thought you brought up about it being sometimes very challenging to keep the child focused and motivated during their speech therapy sessions. I never really thought of it, but it makes perfect sense; it being the parents initiative for their child to take the classes. Sometimes the age of the child may be very young, causing it difficult for them to even understand why they are there and what they are there for. I also loved your idea of having a chart to see the progression of where the child started and the different improvements they have made -I think that alone, will be a great motivator!

2. I think goals are a great idea to keep both the child motivated and their parents happy with seeing progression being made. I like how you mentioned that you will do charts so they can look back and see how much they’ve learned while they have been working with you. I think the charts are also a great way to give yourself feedback on what has been working and what may not be successful with a certain child. Great work!