Module 3 Blog Post

In your future career, how do you expect to encounter differences among those you will be working with? How will you identify and plan for individual and cultural differences between students? Pick one difference you might have in your future teaching experience, discuss how you will plan for differences, and why planning for this difference is important

In hopes of becoming a Speech Pathologist in the future, I am very aware that not every child I work with will learn the same or act the same. I plan to find differences among the severity of their speech issue and their learning ability. I also plan to find differences in their daily lives, like family, social class, and their individual personalities as well. I know this will cause me to struggle at times, but I am excited to see how well I can adapt to the differences between my clients. I will identify individual differences by incorporating different activities into my sessions. For example, some days I may do activities outside and some days I may do activities inside in order to find where the individual seems to learn and excel better. I will also do activities that are visual based and auditory based to see which part of their learning needs the most work. I also think it is very important while working with a child and their speech development that they are interacting with you and not just listening to you, in order to do this I will make sure to have activities that cause them to “copy” what I am saying, or activities that involve me holding up certain objects and instructing them to tell me what they are. I think a huge part of being a good speech pathologist is being able to have a good connection with your client in order to create a sense of comfort between your client and yourself and in order to really pay attention to the ways they are learning and the ways they may not be. From personal experience with my cousin, I think that family involvement is a huge part of a child learning and growing and making sure they get the proper attention and care that they may need, so I will be sure to encourage as much family involvement as possible. I also think that recommending different therapies such a therapeutic horsemanship, water activities, and physical exercise are important in stimulating different ways of learning for these children, so I will try to recommend these activities as much as possible. Although, I wish every child could have equal opportunities, I will be aware that not every family will be able to afford such things or find the time to get their children to these things. In cases like those I will need to be sure to find alternatives such as extra outside time at a playground or in the back yard or special day cares that they families can afford and make happen. A difference that I will encounter a lot while in this profession is the difference between and auditory learner and a visual learner. These are common differences that many people encounter every single day and that I have noticed a lot through my cousin. For example, while trying to get his attention he is more of an auditory learner. I say this because if I stand next to him and point at something for him to do he will not do it, but if I grab him and make eye contact with him and speak to him he will understand what I am saying and respond by actions involving what was said. I found it extremely interesting that in the video Learning styles don’t exist, Daniel Willingham explains that visual learners don’t actually learn best by watching a screen and auditory learners don’t actually learn best by hearing, but it is more of putting a meaning to what they are learning. I find this to be extremely true and I will try my best to incorporate this theory into my work as much as possible. I think that when someone is taught something and it is just memorized it is not a beneficial as actually attaching a meaning to it and retaining it that way. Planning for this difference is important in order for me to be prepared to work with different learning styles and in order to have different activities in mind when these differences are right in front of me.

2 thoughts on “Module 3 Blog Post”

1. Hello Mariah,
    Nice post! I too believe not every student learns the same as another student. It is best to have instructions, activities and content that covers all student abilities, even if that means tweaking things here and there, because you want to make sure students are understanding what is being said/taught and you want to give them the same opportunity to learn as all the others. Having teachers that connected a meaning to what they were teacher was so helpful for me. It allowed me to understand and comprehend the information rather than just memorize it. The teachers who do that usually have the best grades in their class, because of it!

2. Good post! I like how you talked about getting to know each child and about their daily lives, personalities, and social class. I think it is very important for us to get to know our students, not only as students, but people outside of the classroom. We should know what they like and dislike. I also like how you talked about how not all students learn the same. I have found out through my Observation and Participation, that this is very true. I would have students that learned better one way, than others. As a teacher, I would have to create many different assignments, so that every child could succeed, without feeling, “stupid.” Overall, I believe we just have to teach the same content to every student, but we might have to change it a little bit for some students to be able to learn and understand it completely! Good job!