Module 2 Blog Post

There are many variables that go into how one may develop and construct knowledge. Genetic factors as well as environmental factors are linked to the development of knowledge. For example, everybody has a genetic code that they are born with that comes from their parents and earlier family members. But, this genetic code does not limit people to how far they can take their knowledge abilities. Factors such as family members, friends, peers, and education also have a big impact on how one’s knowledge develops. In this module we focused on cognitive development, self-development, social- development, and moral development.  Developmental characteristics influence teaching in a way that in order to properly teach you have to be aware of the circumstances and the level of learning the child is at. You also need to be sure to use appropriate task level assignments and activities while teaching a child. A child will not learn well if they are being taught material that is too challenging or too easy for them, this is where the Zone of Proximal Development by Vygotsky comes into play. Vygotsky wanted to make sure that every student was excelling in the right way, using tasks that are one step ahead of their cognitive development is how he went about this. This method is successful in Cognitive Development, because it allows children to step out of the level that they are currently at and be introduced new and further material. In order for this to be done properly, a teacher is necessary in order for the children to accomplish these new tasks. Another theory related to Cognitive Development is Piaget’s Stages of Cognitive Development. Piaget explains the importance of the Sensorimotor, Preoperational, Concrete- Operational, and Formal- Operational Stages. He believed that maturation, activity, and social transmission, were a big part of how a child develops. Throughout each stage he lists what the child should be able to do within that age range and what you can expect to come next, starting at 0 and going through adulthood. Bronfenbrenner created a Bioecological Model of Social Context for Development, which consisted of four major parts, the Microsystem, Mesosystem, Exosystem, and the Macrosystem. This system revolves around social development and the certain interactions that help to shape and develop a child properly. The benefits of these theories come within them and help us to develop and grow in certain ways, but they lack a sense of universal understanding of where development comes from. For example Vygotsky is more focused on the help of authoritative figures with development, while Bronfenbrenner focuses more on environmental factors and interactions. The role of parents is huge in the development of a child. There are many different parenting techniques and everyone has their own views on this topic, but over all children learn and develop with the help of their parents, whether that be a good or a bad thing is up to them. For example, my whole life I have had somewhat “strict” parents, but I can honestly say they were only strict about things that are necessary. What I mean by this is, they would be strict about going to school and going to practice, and not being a quitter and to always be respectful, and things like that. But when it came to making friends and curfews, they were not too strict. I believe this is because my parents wanted to help shape us into good and successful kids, but not completely hold our hands throughout the whole process. They wanted to guide us but also wanted us to learn for ourselves and make decisions for ourselves. I respect this parenting style because I never felt the need to sneak out of the house or do things behind my parents back, because I could always tell them the truth, but all of my other friends with very strict parents always seemed to rebel and get into trouble.  

3 thoughts on “Module 2 Blog Post”

1. Mariah, I particularly enjoyed this post because I like how it gives specific examples of what factors contribute to a child’s learning. I was interested in how you said that it is necessary to assign the proper task level for students and I could not agree more, it is so mandatory that educators do not expect too much out of a child. As a kid I was overwhelmed by what was often assigned as homework or what I was expected to know on a test. I think that is teachers were more conscious of what each individual student knows it would allow that teacher to be able to allow individual attention to each need a student has. Great point of view Mariah!

2. It’s like walking a tightrope when it comes to assigning homework to kids. Too much or too little will give you negative result either way, so you have to assess if the amount that you are distributing is not overwhelming the students. You just got a find a good middle ground. When it comes to parenting, I can see strictness being an asset in raising kids as it avoids so many future problems if you can instill some form of discipline in them before it is to late. Though we must be careful not to be too heavy handed in that strictness as it will make problems of its own. Thank you for your thoughts and keep posting more awesome thoughts.

3. I like how you mentioned and talked about how your genetic code does not limit you, this is very true! It really comes down to how bad you want it. For instance, if you want to be smarter, you should just study your butt off, and that has nothing to do with your genetic code. I also liked how you talked about giving students the appropriate task level assignments! I believe this is very important for teachers to do, so that every student can be successful regardless of their learning ability! You and me both had somewhat strict parents. My parents would make sure that I did go to school and practice as well, but they allowed me to choose my own friends, and stuff like that myself! Good post!