Module 1 Blog Post

In education the relationship between research and practice is quite strong. In order for a teacher to properly run a classroom, research is needed. There are many different types of classrooms and learning environments out there, making it nearly impossible for teachers all over the world to run their classrooms exactly the same way. Research is done allowing us to benefit from what has worked in the past and what has not. For example, back in the day Special Ed classrooms did not exist, and many children with special needs were extremely neglected. This was happening because a lack of research and information done on what a child with special needs requires to learn and function. With the help of research and the spread of information and awareness we now have programs and classrooms to fit the needs of these children and other children with special adaptations. Research and practice should work to inform each other by communicating properly and not skewing the data. What I mean by this is, if a teacher likes something a certain way they should not deny or ignore the data and research given to them that may work better. Experiments are done to portray a realistic representation of how something should work in order for the best results to come. Practice is what comes after that, allowing us to put the data to the test and benefit from the research.

The note from Mrs. Young really interested me. I think it is very respectable that she went out of her way to back up her decision about only assigning homework that is not finished during the school day. To me, this seems perfectly logical because she has the proof that homework has no benefits to students. I also find it very interesting that she assigns something completely unrelated to regular “homework” as her out of school mission. Ever since I can remember, I have always hated doing homework and have felt as though it never seemed to help me, but more so stress me out. I hated the thought of teachers assigning “busy work” that seemed to have no correlation to my actual knowledge of what was done during class. The thing that bothered me the most was the amount of cheating done outside of the classroom that teachers did not know about, leading to those students being praised for doing “their” work. With that being said, as I have grown and moved up in school I feel as though I don’t have as much “busy work” as I used to, and that the work I do in college does in fact have an impact on my knowledge on the material. So, I guess what I am trying to say is, I am not against homework.. as long as it is clear as to why the assignment was assigned, and as long as I feel as though it truly expanded my knowledge. While researching I found a quote to further explain what I am thinking, it reads, “In 35 such studies, about 77 percent find the link between homework and achievement is positive. Most interesting, though, is these results suggest little or no relationship between homework and achievement for elementary school students” (Cooper). This perfectly explains how I feel as though when we are younger homework is more of busy work rather than work that helps students to succeed, but in the future it is helpful. Further expanding my theory on how homework is more beneficial for college kids, Nick Rupp theorizes that, “differences in scores reflect how homework can help to refresh the course material and help students figure out weak spots in their knowledge before an important test” (McNally). Mr. Rupp conducted a study that showed college students who have a homework requirement result in higher overall grades than students with a homework option. Over all homework is a very controversial topic.

Works Cited

Cooper, H. (2006, September 23). Does Homework Improve Academic Achievement? Retrieved September 28, 2016, from https://today.duke.edu/2006/09/homework_oped.html

McNally, V. (2013, August 27). Bad News, College Kids: Homework Actually Does Help You Learn. Retrieved September 28, 2016, from http://www.themarysue.com/homework-helps/

2 thoughts on “Module 1 Blog Post”

1. It is pretty interesting to see how closely research and practice come together hand and hand. It is difficult to have one of these without the other. I also find it fascinating how much classrooms have evolved to become inclusive to all different people. I like how you mentioned there are so many different learning environments all around the world. We are all very lucky you live in a time where we can get the correct help that we or our family members need. I hope to one day be able to do research to help people as well. Wherever I end up in my future, I hope to continuing researching new ways on helping people. I like how you mention experiments as well, for being something to help research. I believe that without actually trying things out and recording research, we won’t know if it works or not. Very good points on the subject of research and practice. It’s nice to learn about this stuff and certain correlations, so us as researcher, teachers, or speech pathologists understand how important is to have it all. I have always hated homework too. The biggest problem I see with homework sometimes is its inability to be stimulating sometimes. A good portion of homework is busy work, that is repetitive and might not be that useful. I think that certain assignments and some homework may be benefit a child, but not all have the same effects as others. I feel like it may be difficult to deem to teachers what homework is useful for students, and what homework is just consisted of busy work. How do you think teachers can assign more meaningful homework, and when is some homework just too much? I think that is a question I have been pondering. Great post Mariah!

2. I really enjoyed reading both your post Mariah and Emily’s comment. Looking back I think I had way too much homework in elementary school. I think that homework then is important for things like spelling words, but other than that the only good thing about it is practicing for later on in life. Getting kids used to having homework is important, but they should not have so much that they can’t play sports or spend time with family. Even in high school, I think that students get too much homework at times.
    Great Post!