You Snooze, You Lose

Week 3:

This week, I decided to become an early riser and start each day with an alarm set at 6 a.m. Yes, you read that right. I don’t have work in the morning or any reason to be up that early other than the sake of trying something new. Every day this week, that stupid alarm went off and I ripped off the covers and began my day. As someone who identifies as a night owl, this was the most challenging habit to try yet. But…. perseverance won the day and I can say that I successfully woke up every morning and these were the effects I saw happen.

1. What was the biggest change/effects I noticed?

The biggest shift in my behavior was productivity. When I woke up in the morning, if I could get out of my bed within 5 minutes of the alarm going off, I was insanely productive for that whole morning. On the flip side of productivity, I was a slug in the afternoon for the whole first half of the week. I was completely drained, but thankfully, I got most of my work done in the morning.

2. What were minor changes/effects that occurred throughout the week?

Some minor things I noticed was that when I ate earlier in the day, my appetite was satiated much faster and I didn’t feel like I had to snack in the afternoon. I also noticed that in the afternoon, I really wanted a nap. It was a constant battle to fight through that craving of sleep, but when I did, falling asleep at night was much easier than it has been in the past.

3. Was this health habit enjoyable?

I hated this habit. Flat out hated waking up early, but again, I prefer to be up at night. The only enjoyable thing was getting my homework done in the more to create a much more relaxing afternoon where I could chill out more. When I would look at my clock at midnight, I only felt dread knowing that I was going to get a maximum of 6 hours of sleep.

4. How can this health habit sustainable in the long term?

This health habit is definitely sustainable, but it requires much longer than a week to form the habit of being a morning person. I was dependent on coffee to accomplish the task, but I’m sure that when I get out of school, waking up that early for a job will become normal.

I worked a maintenance for 3 years and I had to be awake at 5:45 every day to be at work on time, so you think jumping back into this habit would be easy. This was like ripping off a band aid and it hurt big time. I think people are either born morning or night people and I was born for the night. As pretty as the sunrise is, I prefer to howl at the moon. When I face the reality of a job I’m just gonna have to suck it up and stop hitting snooze, because ready or not….

Life Willkomm

Also, if you enjoy last week’s guest author, check out her blog here in the link below

http://blogs.uww.edu/livinghealthy/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fitness&utm_term=Fitness

4 thoughts on “You Snooze, You Lose

1. Joshua Versh says:

I have never been a big fan of waking up early myself, but it can be very beneficial. Like you said waking up early makes it easier to fall asleep at night and when you sleep in late that is the exact opposite. This is definitely a nice bonus but somedays I feel like sleeping in is a bigger bonus.

2. Becca Fish says:

As someone who also identifies as a night owl, this does not sound appealing at all. However, its really cool that you were more productive! Thanks for trying this so I don’t have to!

3. Luke Piccione says:

This is a great challenge and is very overrated! I recently have become more of a night owl as I stay up playing video games. The number one change is that productivity aspect. Having the morning to yourself to do what you have to get done is the best feeling. Waking up early gives you all the daylight to get accomplished what you want to do.

4. Morgan Meade says:

Wow!! I cannot believe you could get yourself to do this!! I agree that waking up that early would not be very fun especially when it’s quarantine time and there’s not much to do! I do like the feeling of getting up and being more productive so I do see the benefits of being an early riser!!