Nov. 8–Nov. 12 is Veterans Recognition Week, including Veterans Day on November 11th. Do we all remember why *that* day is Veterans Day?? If not, the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs has a web page explaining its history. It’s a day to remember and “reflect on the sacrifice that veterans have made in service to their country.” A variety of events are scheduled all over campus:
- On exhibit until Nov. 15: Historical Military Uniforms, featuring uniforms, photos, and awards (Roberta A. Fiskum Art Gallery, James R. Connor University Center, mall level). Gallery hours are M-Th 10am-6pm, F 10am-3pm, closed Sat. & Sun.
- Mon. Nov. 8: Women’s Issues in the Military (10-11am, University Center 261) and Transitioning from Combat to Campus (12-1:30pm, also in UC 261) presented by Lieutenant Colonel Cynthia Rasmussen, who has served as a Mental Health Nurse in the Army Reserves for 20 years and is currently serving in her 6th year of being mobilized to support the Global War on Terrorism.
- Tues., Nov. 9, 2-3pm: A student panel will provide UWW Veterans First Hand Accounts (UC Involvement Center).
- Wed., Nov. 10:
- 9am-1pm: Veterans Benefits and Resources Fair (UC commons) will feature representatives from a variety of veterans’ state, county, community and campus resources, and the Dryhootch.org mobile coffee house will be parked outside the UC. Dryhootch.org is a “nonprofit formed by combat veterans to help veterans returning home.”
- 7-10pm: Watch the award-winning film The Hurt Locker (UC Summers Auditorium) – free admission! Or, if you can’t make it to the public showing, Andersen Library has a copy of the film on DVD that UWW students & staff can check out (2nd floor Feature Film DVDs, alphabetical by title–so look for it under “Hur”).
- Thurs., Nov. 11:
- 11am-2pm: Free lunch for veterans–with their military ID or DD214–at any UWW dining facility
- 11am: Veterans Recognition Ceremony with student and community speakers on the importance of Veteran’s Day (Alumni Center)
- 12noon: Veteran’s Center Dedication in Andersen Library, 2nd floor
- 12:30pm-1:30pm: reception for Fiskum Gallery exhibit Historical Military Uniforms
- Sat., Nov. 13, 9am-halftime: Military Appreciation Day at the football game (vs. UW-La Crosse, game starts at 1pm). Everyone is invited to show their appreciation of veterans in the parking lot at Perkins Stadium, and there will be halftime recognition of student and community veterans. The athletic department is providing free tickets to veterans: contact Jan Nordin at email@example.com or Andrew Browning at BrowningAR29@uww.edu; free ickets will also be available by will call before the game with presentation of a new or old military ID or DD214.
Note: Information is subject to change, if you have any questions, comments or concerns please contact Andrew Browning at BrowningAR29@uww.edu. UWW is an inclusive campus. If you are an individual who needs an accommodation please contact Andrew Browning at BrowningAR29@uww.edu
UWW’s Andersen Library is a federal depository with many federal, state, local, and international documents on a variety of current and relevant issues available to you in print, microfiche, CD-ROM, and online. Come check out your government at Andersen Library!