Dr. Matthew Lange
|2006||University of Wisconsin : Madison, WI |
Ph.D., German Literature
|1997||University of Colorado : Boulder, CO |
M.A., German Studies
|1994||The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina : Charleston, SC |
B.A., Modern Languages
- Antisemitic Elements in the Critique of Capitalism in German Culture, 1850-1933. German Life and Civilization. Vol. 46. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2007. 348pp.
- “Aktien (Theaterstück von Otto Glagau, 1877)”. Handbuch des Antisemitismus. Judenfeindschaft in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Vol. 7. On behalf of Zentrum für Antisemitismusforschung der Technischen Universität Berlin. Ed. by Wolfgang Benz in collaboration with Werner Bergmann, Rainer Kampling, Juliane Wetzel, Ulrich Wyrwa. Brigitte Mihok. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2014. pp. 5–7.
- “Die Ritter vom Gelde (Roman von Karl Türk, 1891)”. Ibid. pp. 405–7.
- “Der Tunnel (Roman von Bernhard Kellermann, 1913)”. Ibid. pp. 506–7.
- “Wider den ‘jüdischen’ Geist: Antisemitismus und die Gestaltung einer ‘deutschen’ Wirtschaftsgesinnung” [Against the ‘Jewish’ Spirit: Antisemitism and the Creation of a “German” Economic Ethos]. Das nennen Sie Arbeit? Der Produktivitätsdiskurs und seine Ausschlüsse. Eds. Nicole Colin und Franziska Schößler. Heidelberg: Synchron, 2013. pp. 53–66.
- “Der Kulturkämpfer”. Handbuch des Antisemitismus. Judenfeindschaft in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Vol. 6. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2013. pp. 421–22
- “Die Gartenlaube”. Ibid. pp. 224–26.
- “Börsenkrach (1873).” Handbuch des Antisemitismus. Judenfeindschaft in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Vol. 4. Berlin: de Guyter, 2011. pp. 57–59.
- “Bankjuden (Börsenjuden).” Handbuch des Antisemitismus. Judenfeindschaft in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Vol. 3. Berlin: de Guyter, 2010. pp. 40–42.
- “Die ‘goldene’ Internationale.” Ibid. pp. 111–113.
- “Wilhelm Heinrich Riehl.” Handbuch des Antisemitismus. Judenfeindschaft in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Vol. 2.2. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2009. pp. 687–88.
- “Franz Schrönghamer-Heimdal.” ibid. pp. 747–48.
- “Arwed Solano.” ibid. pp. 777–78.
- “Adolph Wagner.” ibid. pp. 859–61.
- “Berlin’s ‘Cathedrals of Commercialism’: Cultural Confrontations with the Warenhaus Phenomenon.” Topography and Literature: Berlin and Modernism. Ed. Reinhard Zachau. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht unipress, 2009. pp. 11-26.
- “‘Vergiß es nie, daß die Juden uns vertrieben haben’: Did Antisemitism Migrate with Germans to the United States in the Nineteenth Century?” Yearbook for German-American Studies 42 (2007): 53–68.
- “The Will to Power or Vox Populi? Hitler Biographies and the Question of Culpability,” with Eric Ehrenreich and Corina Petrescu. Unmasking Hitler: Cultural Representations of Adolf Hitler from the Weimar Republic to the Present. Eds. Jost Hermand and Klaus Berghahn. Oxford: Peter Lang, 2005. pp. 81–104.
- Chronik der deutschen Literatur: Daten, Texte, Kontexte. Hrsg. von Peter Stein und Hartmut Stein (Stuttgart: Kröner, 2008) in: Monatshefte für deutschsprachige Literatur und Kultur 101.4 (2009): 569–71.
University of Wisconsin–Whitewater
(2011-): Associate Professor and Head of German Program
(2006–11): Assistant Professor and Head of German Program
Courses: Beginning German I/II, Intermediate German I/II, Advanced German Language Study I/II, German Conversation, Business German, German Civilization, Readings in Modern German Literature II, German Phonetics, Survey of German Literature up to 1800, Survey of German Literature since 1800, and Foreign Film Appreciation
University of Wisconsin–Madison
University of Colorado–Boulder
- “Germany Votes: A Discussion of the 2013 Bundestag Election” (together with Dr. F. Peter Wagner), UW–Whitewater, September 2013
- “Wider den ‘jüdischen’ Geist. Antisemitismus und die Gestaltung einer ‘deutschen’ Wirtschaftsgesinnung” at the conference “Der Produktivitätsdiskurs und seine Ausschlüsse”, Amsterdam, October 2010
- “Recording German TV for Free with the Internet: Introduction to onlinetvrecorder.com” in the session “Innovative Technology in the German Classroom” at the annual convention of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL), San Diego, November 2009
- “Berlin’s ‘Cathedrals of Commercialism’: Cultural Confrontations with the Department Store up to the Great War.” History Colloquium, UW–Whitewater, October 2008
- “Berlin’s ‘Cathedrals of Commercialism’: Cultural Confrontation of the Warenhaus Phenomenon” at the conference “Berlin und die Moderne 1900-1945”, Sewanee, September 2008
- “The Migration of Antisemitism in German-Americana at the End of the Nineteenth Century,” Faculty Seminar, UW–Whitewater, October 2007
- “The Emigration of Antisemitism in German-American Literature: The Case of Waldemar Wernich’s Moderne Oekonomen: Erzählung vom Lande (1892),” German Studies Graduate Student Conference, UW– Madison, April 2004
- “Antisemitic Anticapitalism in German Culture from 1850 to 1945,” Zentrum für Antisemitismusforschung, Technische Universität–Berlin, June 2003
- “The Will to Power or Vox Populi? Hitler Biographies and the Question of Culpability,” 35th annual Wisconsin Workshop, with Eric Ehrenreich and Corina Petrescu, UW–Madison, September 2002
|Awards, Honors, and Grants|
- Chancellor’s Fellowship Sabbatical, UW–Whitewater, Fall 2015
- Recognized by Residence Life in the Making Achievement Possible (MAPworks) survey as a faculty member who has “positively impacted” a student’s life on campus, UW–Whitewater, October 2013
- Selected participant in the Baden-Württemberg Seminar for American Faculty in German and German Studies, funded by the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts, the University of Tübingen, and the German-American Fulbright Commission, 10–23 June 2012
- Nominee for the College of Letter & Sciences Excellence in Advising Award, UW–Whitewater, 2011/12
- Recognized by Residence Life in the Making Achievement Possible (MAPworks) survey as a faculty member who has “positively impacted” students’ lives on campus, UW–Whitewater, December 2011
- Nominee for the College of Letter & Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award, UW–Whitewater, 2010/11
- Goethe Institute stipend to attend the seminar “Kunst und Kultur in München”, Munich, July 2010
- Recognized as an Outstanding Teacher by the Panhellenic Council, UW–Whitewater, 2008
- Honoree at Scholarship & Creative Achievement Reception, UW–Whitewater, 2008, 2009
- Recipient of $1000 grant to participate in the UW–System Project “Podcasting in Language Instruction – Exploring Potential and Assessing Impact,” 2006/07
- Dissertation Fellowship from the Graduate School, UW–Madison, 2003
- Fulbright-Hays Full Grant to the Zentrum für Antisemitismusforschung, TU–Berlin, 2002/03
- George L. Mosse Graduate Exchange Fellowship to the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 2002/03 (declined)
- Center for German and European Studies Travel Grant to Germany, UW–Madison, 2001
- University Fellowship from the Graduate School, CU–Boulder, 1996/97
- DAAD-Kontaktstipendium to the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität, Erlangen, Germany, 1995/96
- Delta Phi Alpha (National German Honor Society, Kappa Mu chapter president) The Citadel, 1993/94
|Professional and Service Activities|
- Moderator of the session “German-American Interactions in the Postwar Era” at the 39th Annual Symposium of the Society for German-American Studies, St. Louis, April 2015
- Interviewer/Evaluator of AATG-PAD-DSSV Study Trip Awards for the Deutscher Sprach- und Schulverein (German Language and School Society of Wisconsin), Carroll University, 14 March 2015
- Represented UW–Whitewater at German Career Day, Pewaukee, WI, 20 February 2015
- Represented Hessen-Wisconsin Exchange at Global Engagement Fair, UW–Whitewater, 29 January 2015
- Advisor/Mentor of Matthew Viney’s application (awaiting decision) to the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for an Undergraduate Scholarship in the amount of €6500 to study in Hessen during the AY2014/15, January 2015
- Presented on Global Engagement Certificate at Global Café, UW–Whitewater, November 2014
- Attendee at Global Café on Germany as faculty advisor of Hessen-Wisconsin Exchange, UW–Whitewater, October 2014
- Represented Hessen-Wisconsin Exchange at Global Engagement Fair, UW–Whitewater, September 2014
- Advisor/Mentor of Nathan Anderson’s application (awaiting decision) for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program to Germany in AY2015/16, UW–Whitewater, September 2014
- Attendee at UW-System Hessen-Wisconsin Exchange Workshop, UW–Stout, July 2014
- Interviewer/Evaluator of AATG-PAD-DSSV Study Trip Awards for the Deutscher Sprach- und Schulverein (German Language and School Society of Wisconsin), Carroll University, 15 March 2014
- Attendee at International Dinner, UW–Whitewater, February 2014
- Participant in International Forum for Comprehensive Internationalization, UW–Whitewater, January 2014
- Co-moderator a session on ideas for small undergraduate program building, including advising, program visibility, and innovative programming that optimizes the efforts of small German programs at the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) convention, Orlando, November 2013
- Evaluator of Ludeman/Burton-Heldt Study Abroad Scholarship, UW–Whitewater, November 2013
- Attendee of Learn Center Workshop on Internationalization at Home, UW–Whitewater, 29 October 2013
- Member of Campus Evaluation Committee for Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA), UW–Whitewater, September 2013
- Advisor/Mentor of Christine Nitecke’s application for a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program to Germany in AY2014/15, UW–Whitewater, September 2013
- Attendee at Welcome Dinner for Incoming International Students, UW–Whitewater, August 2013
- Moderator of the session “20th Century” at the 37th Annual Symposium of the Society for German-American Studies, New Orleans, May 2013
- Advisor/Mentor of Zachary Herriges’ successful application to the German Academic Exchange Service (daad.org) for an Undergraduate Scholarship in the amount of €6500 to study in Hessen during the AY2013/14, January 2013
- Recruited Webmaster and Member of the Executive Committee of the Society for German-American Studies (SGAS), 2012-
- Invited reviewer on the National Screening Committee for the U.S. State Department’s Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program to Germany, Chicago, November 2012
- Member of English Technical Writing tenure-track faculty member search committee, UW–Whitewater, Spring 2012
- Advisor/Mentor of Christina Nitecke’s successful application to the German Academic Exchange Service (daad.org) for an Undergraduate Scholarship in the amount of €6500 to study in Hessen during the AY2012/13, January 2012
- Invited reviewer on the National Screening Committee for the U.S. State Department’s Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program to Germany, Chicago, November 2011
- Moderator of the session “Enriching Curriculum in Small Undergraduate German Programs with Technology” at the ACTFL convention, Denver, November 2011
- Participant (nominated by the Dean of the College of Letters & Sciences) of the 33rd annual UW–System Faculty College organized by the Office of Professional Instruction and Development, UW–Richland, May/June 2011
- Member of Arabic tenure-track faculty member search committee, UW–Whitewater, Spring 2011
- Co-organizer and host of visit by Swiss filmmakers Thomas Horat and Salome Pitschen and screening of Wätterschmöcker in conjunction with the Wisconsin Film Festival and the Swiss Center of North America, UW–Whitewater, April 2011
- Invited reviewer on the National Screening Committee for the U.S. State Department’s Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program to Germany, Denver, November 2010.
- Accompanied the UW-Whitewater Chamber Singers on a concert tour of Germany, May 2010
- Participant in the Transatlantisches interkulturelles Nachwuchsförderungsprogramm Deutsch als Fremdsprache II (Transatlantic Intercultural Next Generation Promotion Program: German as a Second Language, TraiNDaF II) leadership program of the American Association of Teachers of German (AATG), Goethe Institut Chicago, September 2009
- Member of UW–System Delegation to Hessen to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Hessen-Wisconsin Student Exchange, Germany, December 2008
- Webmaster for the ACTFL Special Interest Group Small Undergraduate German Programs (SUGP-SIG), 2008-
- Advisor to and founder of the Sigma Delta chapter of Delta Phi Alpha (National German Honor Society), UW–Whitewater, 2007–
- Organizer of inter-departmental (German/History/PoliSci) travel study course to Berlin in spring of 2008
- Participant in the Scholar/Mentor Program, UW–Whitewater, Summer 2007
- Contributor in a UW–System Project “Podcasting in Language Instruction – Exploring Potential and Assessing Impact,” 2006/07
- Advisor to the Hessen-Wisconsin Student Exchange, UW–Whitewater, 2006–
- German Section Head and Advisor for the German Major, UW–Whitewater, 2006–
- Participant in Advising Institute, UW–Whitewater, August 2006
- Advisor to the German Club, UW–Whitewater, 2005–
- Coordinator for German activities at annual Language Day, UW–Whitewater, 2005–
- Presenter of German films at the International Film Series, UW–Whitewater, 2005–
- Committee Activity in the College of Letters and Sciences, UW–Whitewater: International Education (2007–), Excellence in Teaching Award (2007)
- Committee Activity in the Department of Languages and Literatures, UW–Whitewater: Review, Promotion, and Tenure (2011-), Assessment (2007–), Curriculum (2007–), Language Day (2007–), Majors and Minors (2005–), Technology (2006–07), Social (2005–07)
- Moderator for German Studies Graduate Conference on “The Permanence of Change,” UW–Madison, April 2005
- Advisor for the UW–Madison Writing Center’s Fulbright Draft Workshop, 2004
|Study and Research Abroad|
|2002/03||Zentrum für Antisemitismusforschung : Berlin, Germany |
Dissertation Research with Fulbright Fellowship
|1995/96||Friedrich-Alexander Universität : Erlangen, Germany |
Graduate Studies with stipend from the DAAD
|July 1992||Internationaler Ferienkurs für deutsche Sprache : Salzburg, Austria |
Undergraduate Studies with Barnhill-Harley Scholarship
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Butler University. “Grundwerte der Geistes- und Naturwissenschaften.” 2007.
- Klaus L. Berghahn. “Lessing the Critic: Polemics as Enlightenment.” A Companion to the Works of Lessing. Eds. Barbara Fischer and Thomas C. Fox. Rochester, NY: Camden House, 2005. pp. 67-87.
- Jost Hermand. “The Jacobins of Hamburg and Altona.” Patriotism, Cosmopolitanism, and National Culture: Public Culture in Hamburg 1700–1933. Ed. Peter Uwe Hohendahl. New York: Rodopi, 2003. pp. 133–41.
- ———. “Kleist’s Penthesilea : Battleground for Gender-Specific Discourses.” A Companion to the Works of Heinrich von Kleist. Ed. Bernd Fischer. Rochester, NY: Camden House, 2003. pp. 43–60.
- ———. “Criticism and Utopian Thinking: Foundations of an Ecologically-Conscious Outlook” (unpublished lecture, 2001).
- ———. “Andrew Wyeth’s Helga Pictures: Anatomy of a Scandal” (unpublished lecture, 1999)
- Wyrwa, Ulrich. “Burschenschaften,” Encyclopedia of Antisemitism: Anti-Jewish Prejudice and Persecution. Ed. Richard S. Levy. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2005. p. 91.
- ———. “1848.” Ibid. pp. 197–99.
- ———. “Emancipation.” Ibid. pp. 201–04.
|Administrative and Professional Experience|
- Program Assistant in the DAAD Center for German and European Studies Center, UW-Madison, 2001/02
- Project Assistant for Prof. Jost Hermand, Department of German, 1999-2001, 2004
- Project Assistant in the University of Wisconsin-Madison Learning Support Services (Language Lab), 1998/99
- American Association of Teachers of German (AATG)
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL) as well as the Special Interest Group for Small German Programs (SUGP-SIG)
- Fulbright Association
- German Studies Association (GSA)
- Society for German-American Studies (SGAS)
- Wisconsin Association For Language Teachers (WAFLT)