Journalism for the Web

Tattoos in the workplace

April 12th, 2016 . by Justin Schultz

I’m about to get my first tattoo, tomorrow actually, and my mom is worried. She’s worried my tattoo will hinder me from getting a job, that businesses will see it and think I’m a “punk kid.”

Frank McManus of Harrisburg, owner of Brass Monkey Studios, participated in a panel discussion on the issues relating to tattoos and body piercing in the workplace.  "I think people should be able to express themselves," said McManus.  The discussion was held at the Susquehanna Art Museum.  Other panelists included an attorney, an aesthetician and a professor of anthropology. REBECCA BARNETT, The Patriot-News

I had one reaction to this: It’s 2016, mom, things aren’t the way they were anymore.

I know that’s a cliche saying, but it’s nonetheless true. Tattoos and piercings are a part of everyday life now. More than ever before, it’s accepted. I pierced my ears when I was 18 (six years ago) and even then I didn’t feel judged. I worked multiple jobs with my ears pierced. I was never asked about them and never felt I was being unprofessional by wearing them.

The same goes for tattoos.

Tattoos are an art form, and you could even make the argument that it’s a small branch of journalism. Journalism sometimes involves deep thoughts, and that’s exactly what tattoos can portray. Businesses have no right to sensor people. Tattoos are an expression of freedom of speech, and no one has the right to limit that.

My mom is still worried, though, no matter how much I tried to convince her that it’ll be fine. Like most things, the world has adapted and has learned to accept different things.

Now more than ever, tattoos are accepted.

One Response to “Tattoos in the workplace”

1. comment number 1 by: Melissa Ramirez

I like how you said that “Journalism sometimes involves deep thoughts, and that’s exactly what tattoos can portray.” , that is something I never thought of but now that you bring it up, it feels like I can easily now show off more of my own tattoos. Because this is a lifestyle that we currently live in.