Journalism for the Web

Twitter and the NFL

April 6th, 2016 . by Justin Schultz

Yesterday, the NFL and Twitter announced that starting during the 2016-17 NFL season, Twitter will be live streaming Thursday night games for free. Twitter will live stream 10 games in all. This partnership also includes in-game highlights, as well as Periscope broadcasts.

YBGgi9BO

Not only is this partnership the first of its kind, it’s also huge for Twitter, the company, as they have been struggling to make a profit since its birth. In fact, Twitter has never recorded a profitable quarter, despite its popularity. This partnership will drive more users to Twitter, increase time spent on Twitter and overall just make the social media platform more popular. Twitter has nothing to lose, but everything to gain by joining forces with the most popular sport in the United States.

Aside from the business stand point, this should add more fans to the already huge NFL fan base. Not everybody has cable. Not everybody has NFL Network (the channel Thursday night games are on). By joining with Twitter, the NFL is widening its audience by a humongous range. It’s a great marketing strategy.

Here’s to hoping the stream is of good quality. Nothing is worse than crappy video quality.

5 Responses to “Twitter and the NFL”

1. comment number 1 by: Melissa Ramirez

WOW! That is an awesome marketing strategy, I am sure this will bring lots of fanbase not only to twitter but to the NFL! That means lots of money bags are coming their ways. Do you think that this will really bring more fan base to twitter, or new fan base to twitter? But what if the video quality is bad, do you think people will still look for this option when watching football?

2. comment number 2 by: Kyle

I find it so interesting that they decided to put the NFL on Twitter. Facebook kind of makes sense to me, but Twitter seems like an odd match. I’m interested in seeing how they integrate it. I hope they find a create way to integrate the game into the platform.

3. comment number 3 by: KIMBERLY WETHAL

Did they say at all how much revenue Twitter was going to make off of this partnership? I’m also curious as to how they earned this deal over Facebook, since they’re the ones doing more of the streaming and letting people (I see mostly news organizations doing this) watch live what’s going on in front of them.
    What will happen to the viewership of the NFL network if people can stream it for free on Twitter, though? It’s a story to follow up on, for sure.

4. comment number 4 by: Ryan Miron

I think that you did a great job covering this story. Not having cable where I’m moving next year, watching on Twitter could take care of that problem. Great Job Justin.

5. comment number 5 by: ANDREA SIDLAUSKAS

This is definitely an interesting move. Like you said, it’s great for Twitter and will hopefully increase the social media site’s users, and the NFL will likely benefit from the decision as well. But you mentioned hoping that the stream has good quality… to which I agree that sub-par quality is the worst way to watch a sporting event, but it’s important to remember that the streaming is free, and more often than not you get what you pay for. Beggars can’t be choosers here. I do think it is in both companies’ best interest to produce a high-quality broadcast, but as consumers I don’t think we should expect or demand anything that we’re not paying for.