Journalism for the Web

The media and Donald Trump

March 15th, 2016 . by Justin Schultz

nbc-fires-donald-trump-after-he-calls-mexicans-rapists-and-drug-runners

Is the media fueling Donald Trump, or is Donald Trump fueling the media?

That’s a question that came up in one of my other classes, and I think’s an interesting one. I think in the beginning, Donald Trump fueled the media. He has said so many outrageous things that the news media had no choice but to cover him. The more outlandish things Trump said, the more the media were drawn to him.

Now, however, I think the media is fueling Trump. Turn on any news station or political talk show and I bet you the main story revolves around Trump. Since the beginning of his campaign, Trump has cooled down a bit when it comes to attacking certain groups of people or bullying his fellow presidential candidates. He hasn’t cooled down much, but there is a difference. Yet, the media is still all over him. If not for the media, I think Trump would have already dropped out of the race by now.

It’s fascinating to see the impact the media can make. The media tells us what’s important, and right now, the media is telling us Trump is important. This is called agenda setting, and it’s been around since the birth of media. Some people may not like it, but it’s just the way it is.

As the presidential candidate race goes on, it’ll be interesting to see just how much coverage Donald Trump garners going forward.

2 Responses to “The media and Donald Trump”

1. comment number 1 by: Kyle Geissler

This is the same constant chicken/egg argument that comes up with the media. I figure that the answer is usually both. Both exists to influence the other.

2. comment number 2 by: KIMBERLY WETHAL

I’ve wondered a lot of the same things with the election coming up, but I’ve also wondered if we do something similar at the Royal Purple. As the campus climate continues to be an issue for UW-W, has our coverage of it at the RP changed its trajectory at all? Would the Chancellor care as much, if there weren’t media sources to do a system of checks and balances of the university’s behavior.