Journalism for the Web

Amazon Prime Air: Is this for real?

March 9th, 2016 . by Justin Schultz

Amazon-PrimeAir-flying

I was talking to my roommates today, and one of them brought up the topic of Amazon drones. I had no idea what he was talking about. I was picturing an army drone flying over the Amazon River. He then explained it to me and I was flabbergasted.

Here is what Amazon has to say on what they call Amazon Prime Air:

We’re excited about Prime Air — a future delivery system from Amazon designed to safely get packages to customers in 30 minutes or less using small unmanned aerial vehicles, also called drones. Prime Air has great potential to enhance the services we already provide to millions of customers by providing rapid parcel delivery that will also increase the overall safety and efficiency of the transportation system. Putting Prime Air into service will take some time, but we will deploy when we have the regulatory support needed to realize our vision.

My first reaction: Is this real life? Amazon is actually going into the air game? This raises so many questions. What happens if someone decides to shoot it down? What if there’s bad weather and the drone gets destroyed? Do I really want a drone knowing my address?

If anything, this is an invasion of privacy. It’s also crazy and unnecessary. I highly doubt this is really going to help Amazon’s delivery service. It’ll probably hurt it, to be honest.

What do you think about this?

2 Responses to “Amazon Prime Air: Is this for real?”

1. comment number 1 by: Kyle

I think it’s hard to imagine this working now, but drone technology will improve in the coming years and might make it practical. When that happens, Amazon will be ahead of the game.

2. comment number 2 by: Sparkle Bogan

It’s crazy how technology is advancing right in front of us all! It’s cool and frightening at the same time. I personally don’t think people would be completely at ease with seeing one face to face just yet. But hey who knows.