Social Media Debate Coverage Popularity Increase

October 16th, 2016 Posted in Web Related

social-media

According to an article on Lost Remote the number of people watching the debate on Twitter and YouTube increased from the first debate to the second. Similarly between the same two debates the number of television viewers declined during this period.

So, what can we expect for the future?

While it is not certain, but I do expect that viewers of social media coverage of the third debate can expect to see more advertisements as companies try to cash in on the new coverage on these sites. No one really expected for this to become as popular as it did. Similarly I expect more political events to be streamed in a similar fashion. It is not out of the realm of possibility to see state of the union addresses and other things like it broadcasted on social media.

This is a new and exciting time for the live coverage of important events on social media as well as traditional mediums. For the moment it seems that more people are venturing to the uncharted territories of social media and away from traditional forms. People like that social media coverage is available anywhere on a smartphone, it is easy to use, and in reality the streaming of these live events has very similar quality as that of television broadcasts.    

An important thing to note is that while it is great to be able to see these events on social media, they are broadcasted there by television stations and other news outlets. There is and always will be overhead costs to do events like this. If people are not willing to pay to watch TV, the future may expect people to pay to watch online.  

Let me know what you think of this in the comment section below.

1. 4 Responses to “Social Media Debate Coverage Popularity Increase”

2. By Kyle Geissler on Oct 16, 2016

The future is one interesting discussion, but I would like to know why online viewing of the debates went up while TV viewing went down WITHIN ABOUT A WEEK! Did you any analysis on why that happened?

3. By Nicholas Martin on Oct 19, 2016

I have noticed the shift of streaming live events to social media platforms as well. I think this increases the “democracy” of information. Having things like the debates streamed for free online allows more people to engage in the process. I believe that having to pay to watch something stream online (even presidential debates) is an extremely negative thing that will hurt broadcasters more than it will hurt consumers.

4. By Brad Allen on Oct 20, 2016

I think it makes sense that more people would be watching the debates via social media. Most people check social media very frequently, and some people get their news coverage solely from Facebook pages that they have liked.
    I definitely agree it’s likely that companies will try to tap into those videos with advertisements, because it will reach millions of people.
    Personally, I think it is awful when people only get their news via social media, because it is very hard for social media ‘news’ to be properly and fairly mediated. Anyone can post anything, and that is dangerous for people to solely collect their news from those sites.

5. By Chris on Oct 22, 2016

Definitely an interesting article and I have noticed that Social Media sure does change up the election and how people view the debates. I know personally, I didn’t watch the debates but I followed them via social media more than anything. I know there was an option to physically watch them over social media, but I more or less just followed via the CNN twitter feed and other news outlets. Awesome post!

Post a Comment