Yahoo Reveals Website Hack

yahoo_logo

After scrolling through my subscriptions on Feedly, the article I chose this week is from FishbowlNY. Yahoo revealed that hackers stole data from 500 million users back in 2014, yet the hack was reported just a few days ago. The article was very brief and to the point, although it left me feeling uncertain.

I’m very cautious when revealing information online (address, phone number, birthday) because although websites say they are secure, I never fully trust that they are. I believe that 9 times out of 10, when a website is hacked and information is stolen, it goes unreported so users won’t feel insecure when revealing personal information. Hence the situation Yahoo is currently in.

My favorite (sarcasm) piece of the article is the final paragraph: “If you are a Yahoo user, it’s time to change that password and any other password that’s remotely similar to your Yahoo one. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best.” How touching. I believe Yahoo owes present and future users an explanation regarding their website security.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Yahoo Reveals Website Hack

1. Brad Allen says:

I thought this was pretty interesting. I have a Yahoo email account, and when I heard about the server hacks earlier today I was concerned that my personal email might have been hacked too.
    That quote is pretty funny – and probably accurate. Using the same passwords for different accounts can be disastrous if a hacker gets ahold of your information.
    Thanks for sharing this!
    -Brad

2. Ashley Devita says:

I chose an article similar to this this week as well.
    While I feel that it’s not uncommon for hacks like this to happen, what concerns me is how nonchalant Yahoo seems to be about it. “Hope for the best”? That’s laughable. They’re going to be in a lot of trouble if something big happens with these hacks-probably a few lawsuits. Pretty unsettling.

3. alr ea says:

It’s in reality a great and helpful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.