Posted on December 7, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

Whitewater’s 1st Brigade Band

Posted on November 23, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

Frustration builds as forfeits increase

Posted on November 6, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

Forfeits are slightly up this year in the intramural sports department which is leading to some built up frustration for participants as well as the department.

Some of the negative effects include officials not being able to progress and develop as well as participants complaining about not being able to play in the leagues they paid for. Participant’s frustration stems from getting all geared up for their game only to find out that their game is cancelled.

“This semester forfeits have been a little bit of an issue but nothing major,” Friel said.

The department’s goals include getting students to maintain an active lifestyle by having a plethora of sports to choose from. The rec sports department motto is, “A sport for everyone, and everyone in a sport.”

Ryan Friedrich is one of the frustrated intramural sport participants. “I hate it when you get there and you’re ready to go and then the other team doesn’t even bother to show up,” Friedrich said.

He would like to see changes to the department as a whole. One of his problems is not being able to play if the other team has one or two people show up a minute or two late. Although he likes being able to use the court or field during a forfeit he wishes the officials would ref the games anyway since they are getting paid to be there.

Adam Sheridan is another frustrated student who has participated in past intramural sports. His main problem with it all is that he takes a night out of his busy week to have a little fun and so he expects to be compensated for his time.

“The reason I get angry is because I signed up and paid the money for this, and then I don’t even get to enjoy it,” Sheridan said.

The rec sports department defines a forfeit as an intramural team not being able to participate in their scheduled game, because they either didn’t have enough players to start a game on time or they have an improper ratio for co-rec leagues.

This also implies that the team showed up and made an effort to gather enough players to play the game but in the end they just didn’t have enough.

There are no consequences for a forfeit other than the loss they will suffer to their overall record. A second forfeit means immediate removal from the league.

The rec sports department defines a no-show as an intramural team not showing up for their scheduled game, and not calling the rec sports office to notify them.

The consequence for a not showing up is a no-show fee. The fee covers a percentage of the pay for the officials that were scheduled to officiate for that hour.

The fee for team sports is $10 and $2 for individual or doubles sports. The offenders have 24 hours to pay the fee or they will be removed from the league immediately.

“We’re not out to get no-show fees, we’re not out to have people removed from the league, but if it’s a consistent pattern,” Friel said. “It’s somebody consistently not showing up for their game. Then they probably don’t want to be in a league. So we’d like to give that spot to somebody who would like to play.”

In special circumstances where teams have only played a couple of games the department will make the decision to push them into the playoffs. They do this to give them that extra game to try and compensate for forfeits, no-shows or rain-outs.

This is not common practice, but in a special scenario last spring when there was an extraordinary amount of rain-outs all teams were pushed in the playoffs.

The fall season for intramural sports is already well under way, but the spring season is not that far off. Entries for the spring session of Basketball and Volleyball are due Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2014. The department will also be training and hiring officials for those sports during the previous week.

Jobs addresses Stanford class of 2005

Posted on October 22, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

Steve Jobs gave his commencement address to the class of 2005 at Stanford University today to inspire the graduates.

Jobs, 50, spoke about connecting the dots, love and loss and death through three life stories.

Jobs dropped out of Reed College, Portland, Ore., after the first six months. He continued to “drop in” for another 18 months before finally calling it quits.

Jobs’ biological mother, Joanne Schieble, put him up for adoption at birth with the criteria that his parents would be college graduates. Jobs’ parents in waiting decided they wanted a girl at the last minute.

His newly appointed parents received a phone call in the middle of the night asking them about an unexpected baby boy. Jobs’ parents said yes without hesitation. They had previously been on a waiting list.

Schieble found out that Steve’s new mother to be, Clara Jobs, never graduated from college, and his father, Paul Jobs, never received his high school diploma. Upon learning this, Schieble refused to sign the final adoption papers.

After a few months the Jobs promised Schieble that Steve would go to college and Schieble later relented and signed the papers.

One of the “far more interesting” classes that Jobs took was a course in calligraphy. “If I had never dropped in on that single calligraphy course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts,” Jobs said.

Jobs was able to connect the dots 10 years later by following his curiosity and intuition. Jobs’ main message to the graduates was one can only connect the dots looking backwards, not forwards. One has to trust in something in order to give one the confidence to follow their heart.

Jobs’ second story was about love and loss.

Jobs and Steve “Woz” Wozniak started Apple Computer, Inc., in Jobs’ parent’s garage when he was 20. In 10 years Apple Computer, Inc. had become a $2 billion company.

The two released the Macintosh in 1984. A year later Jobs, 30, was fired from the company he started.

Jobs was replaced by John Sculley, formerly the CEO of PepsiCo Inc. Ironically Jobs lured Sculley away from PepsiCo Inc., a mere two years earlier. The board of directors of Apple Computer, Inc. chose Sculley over Jobs.

Throughout all the turmoil Jobs still loved what he did. Jobs didn’t give up and he continued to live out his dreams.

Jobs bought a little known company, Pixar, in 1986. Pixar would go on to create the world’s first computer animated feature film, and later become the most successful animation studio in the world.

In 1985, Jobs founded a new computer company, NeXT, Inc. Eleven years later, Apple Computer, Inc. bought NeXT, Inc., and Jobs returned to the same company that had previously fired him in favor of Sculley’s vision.

Jobs came off one of the most creative periods in his life. “I’m pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn’t been fired from Apple. It was awful-tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it,” Jobs said.

Jobs’ second message was to find what you love. In order to do great work one has to love what they do.

Finally, Jobs’ last story was about death.

Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2003. His doctors told him his life expectancy was 3-6 months. Jobs was prepared to die.

Jobs had an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor on his pancreas which was not only rare, but also far less aggressive. Jobs had the surgery in 2004 and he is now cured.

Death was something that had motivated Jobs throughout his life, but it had never been so real. Jobs’ third message regarding death was time is limited, and it should not be wasted living someone else’s life.

Jobs’ had one final message for Stanford’s class of 2005. “Stay hungry, stay foolish,” Jobs said.

Rookie official did more then just ref the championship games

Posted on October 14, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

Intramural official Kris Pullam received a special surprise during the annual flag football championships Tuesday night at Perkins Stadium.

In what was a memorable night for Pullam, in which he was not only officiating in the flag football intramural championships as a rookie official, but he was also surprised by the presence of his family who had driven from Illinois to see him officiate.*

Pullam admitted that he had no idea that his family would be at the games but he knew he had to focus on the task at hand. “I was not expecting them to come and support me. It was a little bit nerve wrecking but I thought I handled it well,” Pullam said.

Pullam went on to say that he never expected to be in the championship as a rookie official. “It was a great experience to be in such a legendary D3 stadium doing what I thought would just be a hobby,” Pullam said.

The Eggerts dismantled the Seasoned Veterans 34-6 in the All-Campus Championship men’s A bracket. In a game that was a blow out from the start, the Veterans only managed one score in the final minute.

In dramatic fashion the Elemonators defeated Team Fun 12-9 in the All-Campus Co-Rec Championship game.

Joey Gribble of the Elemonators caught the game winning touchdown with a minute remaining in the game. Gribble, who previously made the spectacular toe tapping touchdown reception, sealed the game on defense with an interception in the end zone.

Prime Time rallied against the Redshirt Seniors 14-6 in the All-Campus Championship men’s B bracket.

The Seniors opened the game and the night with an interception for a touchdown. Prime Time was able to quickly recover and rallied for two touchdowns of their own for the come from behind victory.

The All-Campus Championships were scheduled from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. at Perkins Stadium. The stadium primarily serves as the home field for the UW-Whitewater Warhawk football team. Perkins Stadium is the largest Division III stadium in the country.

Assistant director of intramural and club sports James Friel was in attendance for Tuesday night’s games along with flag football sport coordinator Ryan Eigenberger.

Car accident leaves Mayor Brandeis with a broken knee

Posted on October 9, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

Mayor Louis Brandeis was part of a car accident in the 300 block of North Main Street Thursday afternoon after he was hit by a texting driver, according to Police Chief Maryann Magarian.

The accident occurred just outside of Henderson’s Hardware Store, 388 N. Main St. Brandeis suffered a broken knee, and was bleeding from a cut to his face. The mayor was placed on a stretcher and rushed to Podunk General Hospital, according to Magarian.

“Witnesses have told officers that the Ford was headed south on Main Street and the Mayor’s car was headed North. The Ford entered the northbound lane, at which time the mayor’s vehicle hit the side of the Ford. The collision caused the mayor’s vehicle to lose control. It spun around once and entered the sidewalk, at which time it hit the front of the hardware store. No one on the sidewalk or in the store was injured,” Magarian said.

Police officers recovered a smartphone from Justin Scalia’s automobile. He had been sending a text message at the time of the collision. The message was unfinished, according to Magarian.

“This should send a message to everyone: Don’t text and drive. If used improperly, that little phone can be a deadly weapon,” Magarian said.

Brandeis had surgery Thursday evening to repair a broken right knee, and is resting comfortably at the hospital. The mayor was listed in satisfactory condition. Brandeis is expected to leave the hospital Friday morning with his right leg is in a cast and walking with the aid of crutches, according to nursing supervisor Anna Bechstein.

“I know I speak for all of us in Podunk when I say I’m glad the mayor wasn’t more seriously hurt,” Bechstein said.

Scalia, 19, 1554 Mockingbird Blvd., is a student at Podunk State University. He was arrested, and taken to Podunk County Jail. A relative posted a $500 bail and Scalia was released from custody at 5:47 p.m. Scalia’s hearing will be at the Podunk County Courthouse Friday morning.

New budget proposes tax increase for Kittatinny citizens

Posted on October 5, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

Mayor Gus Petykiewicz proposed a property tax increase in the upcoming budget for Kittatinny citizens Monday, because of the partial closing of the Susquehanna Steel Corp.

Petykiewicz proposed that the current city tax rate be raised from 4 to 4.3 mills. He hopes that this tax increase will supplement the majority of the taxable property lost by the city’s industrial tax base. Kittatinny lost over a $100 million from its industrial tax base.

Petykiewicz is trying to alleviate Kittatinny from the significant financial stress it is currently under. However, Petykiewicz understands that there will be some tough decisions in the upcoming weeks and months ahead for all considered. “There will be pain for everyone in this budget,” Petykiewicz said.

Additionally, Petykiewicz proposed to reduce the full-time Kittatinny police force from 10 officers to eight. The chief of police is not included in the count. This move would result in the early shift (4 a.m. to noon) no longer being staffed by Kittatinny police officers.

In order to compensate for the eliminated shift, emergency calls will be handled on a contract basis by Schuylkill County sheriff’s deputies. Petykiewicz doesn’t believe that crime rates will increase but he is strongly concerned about the longer response times. He believes emergency response times will be nearly doubled.

Roman Hruska, chief of Police, is not happy about the cuts to his department. He would rather see the cuts take place elsewhere and not in the interest of public safety. Hruska did say his decision will not be hard in the sense that they have a “last hired, first fired system.” He will however be saddened by the fact that two good up and coming cops will be losing their jobs.

City council president Denelda Penoyer noted that there has always been some friction between the police chief and the mayor. “The chief and the mayor don’t get along,” Penoyer said.

Officers’ wages and benefits are set by a contract with Local 34 of the Pennsylvania Police Association, which expires in June 2014. President of the Pennsylvania Police Association Local 34 Bjarne Westhoff  is open to the idea of renegotiating the collective bargaining agreement they have with the city to reduce wages. However, Westhoff went on to say that a 10% decrease in wages would only be considered if a mutual stance was taken by all city departments. He also stated that the reduction of wages could only save one of the officers’ jobs.

Petykiewicz also proposed taking garbage pickup off the tax levy. This move, if agreed upon by the city council, would free up nearly $187,000 of the city’s expenses. Kittatinny citizens would no longer be afforded the convenience of garbage pickup unless they pay for it out of pocket.

The city’s current provider, Tioga Sanitation Co., and the mayor are currently in negotiations to continue providing weekly garbage pickup and to add this charge to city water bills. Industrial and commercial properties handle their waste-disposal needs privately.

The Susquehanna Steel Corp. is decommissioning Blast Furnace Unit 1, because of a lack of demand for their products, and foreign competition has greatly hurt their bottom line. 600 of their 1600 employees will lose their jobs immediately. They were the largest employer of Kittatinny citizens.

The mayor understands that these cuts may not be the most popular decisions, but the cuts are by no means set in stone. Petykiewicz also wants the city council members to know that his door is always open and he welcomes suggestions as to how the city of Kittatinny can weather this rough time.

The budget must be balanced and approved by the city council and signed into law by the mayor by December 1, 2012.  A lot has yet to be determined in these next two months.

Turning 21 is more than just a number

Posted on September 25, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | Leave a Comment

To most college students turning 21 is a celebration of coming of age, but for UW-Lacrosse student Kali Boardman it means something so much more.

Boardman, a biology chemistry major, suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after she experienced two traumatic incidents as a child within a month of each other. Boardman was bitten by two different dogs on separate occasions when she was 11 years old.

Dec. 16 will mark the day Boardman turns 21. It is also the same day that Boardman will receive her first installment from the settlement reached from the first dog bite.

Boardman plans to use the money to help pay off college along with starting a retirement fund. Somewhere down the road she would like to use some of the money for a down payment on a house.

The first dog, a beagle, bit Boardman under her left eye, and only let go to re-grip on her cheek and nose. The second dog, a yellow lab, bit Boardman above her lip.

The trauma from these events has left a lasting impression on Boardman that she thinks she will have to manage the rest of her life. Stress, blood or gore can all cause her to pass out without a moments notice.

It can occur from just the sight of pictures or someone simply telling a story. Boardman’s mind regresses to her hospital moment and it will cause her to faint.

Boardman has learned to manage her PTSD to the point that episodes are no longer a frequent occurrence. She went from having 67 episodes as a freshman in high school to just seven as a senior.

As a freshman in college last year Boardman suffered from only two episodes and she has yet to experience an episode up to this point.

Boardman’s settlement is valued at $80,000. She will receive four installment payments of about $18,000 once a year and the fifth installment will bring the total to $80,000.


Cowboys defense suffers another blow after the loss of Anthony Spencer

Posted on September 9, 2013
Filed Under Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl defensive end Anthony Spencer will undergo season-ending surgery on his left knee, according to his agent, Jordan Woy.

This is the second big blow to a defense already in the mitts of transition. The Cowboys went through the process of changing from a 3-4 scheme to a 4-3 over the off-season.

Defensive tackle Jay Ratliff was placed  on the PUP list earlier in the year after missing all of training camp. The four-time Pro Bowler won’t be back on the field until Oct. 20 at the earliest.

It remains to be seen if defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin can hold the squad together until then.