Nov 27 2016

Another Newsroom Reduces Staff

Published by at 9:50 pm under Tech Stories

downsizing

In a very short blog post on Adweek, Chris O’Shea indicates that as many as 24 staffers from the New York Daily News have elected to take a buyout package offered by the newspaper in lieu of layoffs. This action comes after years of reduced ad revenue and a shrinking profit margin.

The newspaper industry has not been immune to the changing habits of consumers as it relates to their moveĀ into more technology driven lives. Downsizing of newsrooms has been happening frequently over the course of the past decade as the newspaper industry adapts to a changing economic landscape. I think that the newspapers that were quick to adapt are the ones that we still thriving (and other factors obviously contributed to this survival as well.) The changes are still occurring and the newspapers that have survived are by no means safe.

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “Another Newsroom Reduces Staff”

1. Kyleon 27 Nov 2016 at 10:02 pm

What do you think newspapers will have to do in the future to survive?

2. Nicholas Martinon 27 Nov 2016 at 10:11 pm

I think the most obvious way is the strategic use of paywalls. The most successful newspapers already have content that users exclusively use their newspapers for. The main issue is monetizing this online. Newspapers that lack this kind of content will have to take other steps to ensure a continuing reader base. One idea is as simple as providing hyper-local content (and “paywalling” it.)

3. Calvinon 28 Nov 2016 at 1:00 am

I think this is interesting to look at, considering I wrote an article showing how computers and AI’s are writing news stories now, instead of actual journalists. At this rate, like you point out, with newsrooms shrinking, it makes me wonder how long it will be before newsrooms are controlled by robots, and news is produced all through some giant computer. I like that you point this out though, cause I do find it interesting that newsrooms are getting smaller staffed.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS