Nov 13 2016

Social Media Shows Its Strength Through 2016 Election

Published by at 4:43 pm under Misc

It is safe to say that the shock of this election is still settling in for most people. Despite your political view, if you followed most of the polls leading up to the general election you would have assumed that Hillary Clinton was going to be the likely winner. A variety of polls were showing her up by several points, especially in critical demographics. Things did not follow as the polls were predicting.

prediction

In an article on Adweek, these polls and their inaccuracies are examined. Why were the polls so divorced from reality? Crucially, this article identify that not all predictions were incorrect. Specifically, the article identifies that, “Analysts monitoring the social media activity of both campaigns on the major channels saw the outcome of this election coming months ago and kept talking about the massive silent voter base that was forming around the Republican nominee.” It seems that the rift between traditional news/conventional polling and social media is greater than ever.

I was definitely fooled by the conventional polls and traditional news pundents during this election cycle. Perhaps there are other reasons for the separation of what most thought would happen and what actually happened. I don’t have the answers and I doubt many do.

One response so far

One Response to “Social Media Shows Its Strength Through 2016 Election”

1. Kyle Geissleron 13 Nov 2016 at 6:27 pm

I’ve followed this closely and heard many reasons why the polling was off. Honestly, most of the reasons sound plausible, so I’m guessing there are many reasons for the incorrect forecast. The only question I have is which reasons were stronger influences and which were weaker ones.

I wish I had the answers, but alas, statistics was not my strong suit in college.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS