Nov 06 2016

Media Trust

Published by at 11:01 pm under Misc

massmedia

In the news lately, there have been a lot of reports of fake news stories. Most of these stories have been linked to the upcoming election. These stories have eroded the trust that readers and viewers have in mass media. This decline in trust is not new, but something that has been accumulating for a long time. This worrying trend is examined in an article by Terry Heaton. He explains that the public’s trust in mass media is hanging by a thread. Less than 35% of those polled in a recent Gallup poll indicated that they had a “great deal or fair” amount of trust in the mass media, currently. He explains that not only have the fake news stories contributed to this decline, but the election itself: namely presidential candidate Donald Trump. Trump’s accusations against the mass media have influenced a generous portion of the public.

galluptrust2016

I find it incredibly worrying, yet refreshing, that the public is losing trust in the mass media. By refreshing, I mean that it is important for any citizen to be skeptical of the news they read. A good citizen should question facts to ensure they are accurate and truthful. I do, however, find it worrying that such a large portion of the nation would let a single person sway that trust in media outlets. The same people who would and should be questioning the truth within news stories are dismissing obvious falsities spread by ANY┬ácandidate of choice. I won’t walk this out any further as I do not wish to make any political statements. Overall, I think the Gallup polls, and Heaton’s analysis, to be sound, if not worrying.

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “Media Trust”

1. Calvinon 06 Nov 2016 at 11:17 pm

I’d say it isn’t shocking to see those numbers so low. I agree with you that it is refreshing that people are losing trust in the media. It’s nice knowing that not everybody is going to believe what they see or what they read in the news, a lot of which is happening right now with the election coming up. Really well put in this article, the polls and the numbers are eye opening for sure, and I imagine, depending on how this election goes, those numbers will change, regardless of who wins the presidency.

2. Kyleon 07 Nov 2016 at 1:02 am

I agree that skepticism is a good thing, but I am concerned about what happens when there are no trusted institutions. Perhaps this problem can be solved at the same time as the revenue problem? If a news outlet can find a way to regain trust with the public, it would be in a much better position to benefit financially from that trust.

3. CHRISTOPHER FOWLERon 13 Nov 2016 at 2:30 pm

I like this post a lot. It is definitely interesting since the election brought about so much media coverage. I have always been one to question the legitimacy of certain news stories and I am glad the public is realizing it more and more. More people being naive is not something this society needs at the moment.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS