Oct 16 2016

Young People and News Consumption

Published by at 3:19 pm under Misc,Tech Stories

In a blog post by Terry Heaton, he discusses new research that finds that young people actually prefer to read their news rather than watch it. The Pew Research Center conducted a survey of people from different age groups to uncover their news consuming habits.pewresearchagebrack┬áThe most surprising find from this study was the discovery that the age group of 18-29 year olds like to consume news via reading over watching. Terry Heaton argues that this occurs for two reasons (both tied to advertising and video.) Ads on video both slow down the consumption of the news and contributes to the annoyance of the young viewer – and probably all viewers, really.

I agree with Heaton’s observations about the annoyance of ads and that this is likely a large contribution to young news consumers preferring to read their news. It is much easier to scroll past an unseemly ad than it is to have to sit through one. I know personally I always read the news on my smartphone. The creation of the smartphone has probably been the single greatest advantage ever created for the time-scarce news consumer. Obtaining news on-the-go is a lot more simple now, but video and smartphones don’t really mesh well. It is much faster to scroll through the story, at your leisure or as fast as humanly possible, than try to watch an ad-riddled video not optimized for smartphones.

4 responses so far

4 Responses to “Young People and News Consumption”

1. Kyle Geissleron 16 Oct 2016 at 3:33 pm

The only exception to this are the rare occasions when the video IS the news. That is, the video shows something so interesting, that’s what the story is about. This is probably best thought of as “viral video.” Otherwise, I agree. For all the talk about video, when it comes to news, most users prefer reading. It’s faster, and they can do it silently (when they’re at work or in public).

2. Benjamin Seidelon 16 Oct 2016 at 3:46 pm

That is interesting because I would expect our age to watch more than they read, but I do agree. Reading the news can be a lot nicer because, like you said, you can just scroll past stories that don’t seem interesting to you. This is what makes it so interesting to write news because you have to keep in mind that you need to draw people in as efficiently as possible.

3. Angelic M Thompsonon 16 Oct 2016 at 5:39 pm

I thought this was a very interesting and cool story. I wouldnt have thought that people our age would rather read news then watch it. I do agree with the ad situation, no one likes ads and I do feel it takes up peoples time. I feel writing news that you have to have something near the writing to make the story pop, like a picture, because if you dont it will go unnoticed.

4. Caitlin Kirchneron 16 Oct 2016 at 6:35 pm

I am also surprised to read this, because I feel like I rarely hear, “hey, I read the most interesting story today.” It’s often talk about a “viral video” and etc. Maybe people are reading more stories, but it isn’t what they choose to talk about with their peers? I definitely do avoid watching a lot of videos, due to ads that are 30 seconds long, on youtube and etc.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS