Sep 24 2016

“Spectacles”: Extending our social media scope

Published by at 11:04 pm under Tech Stories

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/snapchat-spectacles-snap-inc/645310

In a world dominated by social media, Snap Inc. has taken things a step further. On Friday, Snap Inc. (formerly Snapchat) introduced a new piece of hardware that social media junkies will have to have. Snap Inc. have yet to announce the release date for the new “Spectacles”; sunglasses that can record up to 10 seconds of video and upload them to Snapchat.

When I first read this article I thought it was some kind of prank piece. I’m highly questionable of their success- they sound like a cheaper, less useful version of Google Glass. But the tie-in to existing social media could drive the sales of “Spectacles.” Also, the projected release price of $129.99 is not so steep that people won’t turn their heads to the product from the start. I do have my concerns though. Anything that can potentially cause distraction, especially something that can so easily be used while operating a motor vehicle, is likely to draw ire.

Despite my initial hesitation, I’ve could around to the idea of eyewear that can record Snapchat images and video from the 1st person perspective. I feel like the benefits of this new device outweighs the potential negatives. The new “Spectacles” will likely open up possibilities to content creators, social media fiends, and Snapchat enthusiasts everywhere. The ability to create new, more fascinating content is never a bad thing. Devices like this will likely pave the way for other technologies that allow us to extend our media reach.

One response so far

One Response to ““Spectacles”: Extending our social media scope”

1. Benjamin Seidelon 25 Sep 2016 at 4:58 pm

That is very interesting and it really does sound fake. I definitely agree that there are a lot of positives. It brings the concept of a GoPro to Snapchat basically but even easier because all you have to do is wear glasses. Social Media is evolving more and more and these glasses are probably the way of the future. It makes it even easier and more convenient to connect with the people around them, good find!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS