The definition of a unique viewer has become a huge hub of discussion. Especially since the viewer today has a multitude of options on how they will view content. Being able to boast about xx-thousand unique viewers has sway on unique opportunities for journalistic websites (and others) otherwise not reachable.

So why is this important? How are we as  content moderators suppose to be able to measure our return readers and viewers accurately now-a-days?

For example, I have a mobile device, a personal computer, and I have access to a computer at my work. Now, say I visit one site three times on these three different devices. Due to the information shared by each of my devices this website would count three unique viewers.

But what about the people with access to more than three devices? Six devices = “six unique viewers.” But these “six unique viewers” are actually just one viewer.

This sets up the whole online advertising game to be lead off of false statistics – to me. This sets up an incredibly incorrect way of how ecommerce operates.

So how could we go about fixing this issue?

• Make all devices have a viewer identification number (more likely.)
  • Create a system of viewer accountability (implementation would be a problem.)
  • Stop integrating mobile and desktop platforms (less likely due to blending of platforms.)

Personally I think the idea of a viewer identification number would be the best idea. Some how you would link all of your devices to a single ID ( that would be untraceable back to you.)  This was visiting a site five times on five different devices doesn’t yield 5 unique viewers.

The nice thing about the future is you cannot predict it but you can  share your vision of it and hope that it is integrated in somehow. So how many times are you considered a unique viewer? What are your thoughts about how to chase this?

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind