Warhawk Football Victorious

The Warhawk football team hosted the UW-La Crosse Eagles at Perkins Stadium last Friday night.  After a disappointing loss to Oshkosh and an end to their 36 game win streak the week before, the Warhawks looked to bounce back against the Eagles.


The Warhawks came into the game with a 4-1 record, and a 1-1 conference record.  La Crosse owned a 2-3 record, also with a 1-1 conference record.  Whitewater, after falling to sixth in the national rankings, desperately needed a win to stay competitive in the playoff race.


The game was not well played, but the Warhawks pulled out the victory.  La Crosse put up a bigger fight than expected, but Whitewater pulled away late to escape with a 30-12 victory in front of a crowd of about five thousand fans.


Jarrod Ware, Tyler Glass and Jordan Ratliffe each scored touchdowns for the Warhawks to seal the victory.  Defensive back Vince Mason picked off Eagles quarterback John Tackett twice.


The game was definitely a strange one.  Both Ratliffe and Ware left with injuries.  The top two running backs, Dennis Moore and Nick Patterson, were already out, so the Warhawks had to put their fifth-string back into the game.


There was also a revolving door at the quarterback position.  Starter Chris Nelson got the majority of snaps, throwing for 246 yards with a touchdown and an interception.  Freshman quarterback Cole Wilber got some experience under center, taking the offense into field goal position on his second drive.


After the game, head coach Kevin Bullis touched on the quarterback situation.  “We live in an age where a quarterback is entitled to a job, but that’s not the case.”  Bullis added, “Cole is a very talented young man, and he earned the opportunity to get some game snaps.”


After a slow and sloppy start, the Warhawks finally started to gain some momentum.  After one of Mason’s interceptions, Ware ran it in for a short touchdown to get out to a 16-0 lead.


La Crosse made some adjustments and finally found the end zone at the end of the half to make it 16-6.  They scored again at the beginning of the second half to get within four points.


“I thought we were going to blow it.  The Eagles had all of the momentum and we couldn’t do anything to stop them.  I would’ve been really disappointed and shocked,” said student Zach Slattery.


Later in the game, Nelson quieted some of those fears with an 18-yard touchdown pass to Manny Jones.  This pushed the lead to 23-12.


Both teams struggled to do much else until Glass scampered for a 21-yard touchdown run that put the Eagles away for good.


The Warhawks put up a total of 537 yards.  With only a few touchdowns to show for all those yards, it is an indicator of how they failed to finish off their drives with points.


“It was kind of frustrating to watch, the offense didn’t seem to be on top of their game tonight,” said Ethan McGuire.


The Warhawks look to stay on track when they travel to Stevens Point to face the Pointers on Oct. 24.

Published in:Uncategorized |on October 19th, 2015 |No Comments »

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply