In today’s world, many people, myself included, receive their news via the internet. Whether it is through social media, the news source’s website, or a smartphone app people are in some way getting news digitally. For me I have never lived in the world where the internet did not exist and barely remember a time where cellphones did not, so as a teenager and young adult I rarely ever watch the news on TV to get information.

For national and international news, I follow what is happening politically, especially since Donald Trump is now president.  I mostly get national news from the CNN app I have on my phone.  This app is a combination of text and videos and sends notifications to my phone when news stories break. I do follow news form my home town, which is Madison Wisconsin. I mostly find local news from Facebook. Friends and family share links to local news stories.  The links generally lead me to local news station’s website like Channel 3000. Facebook one hundred leads me to news.  Most of the time it is through links or one specific story. I can be hard to trust which is real on Facebook.  I normally trust the news credible if it is posted by the news source itself or my mom or dad’s friends share it because the older and seem more knowledgeable regarding fake news. I also use twitter but I am never really led to news sites like I do on Facebook.

When I do not get my news from social media I will sometimes type in the web address to the NYC Times or CNN. A big reason I am attracted to these websites is because of their designs. The both have very sleek web designs that are easy to navigate. The news is easy to find and I typically do not get distracted by ads and other online distractors when I use these news sites. The only time I ever really use search engines like Google to find news is when I see multiple people share a news story on social media and I want to see if it is true or if big media sites have posted something about it. This is one of the steps I take to make sure news is real. I have been on Facebook multiple times and read though a story that turned out to be fake. One of the steps I take now is to note the source of where this news is coming from. If it is a website I have never heard of I won’t look at it because it has a higher possibility of being fake.

I enjoy news of any kind but my two favorite formats are probably video and interactive graphics. I enjoy these formats because they do not bore me.  Typically, with text I get distracted and go on my phone or exit out of the news story. All in all, I do enjoy receiving news digitally I just have to take the precautions to ensure it is real.