Planning 101 – 3 Big Tips for Starters

Welcome to It’s All About The Paper!

For this first post, I wanted to go over some basic tips for planning! If you are just starting out, these are the top three things to think about to get you started.

1. Find a planner.

This may sound stupid, but it honestly becomes one of the hardest parts of starting to use a planner– finding one you like. Find out what works for you. Do you like lists? Try a vertical planner. Do you like journaling or have big handwriting? Try a horizontal planner.

Good vertical planners on a budget are the Happy Planner and the Recollections planner, which are both found at Michaels. If you buy from Michaels, sign up for the rewards program because they always have good coupons. Also, both these companies offer horizontal planners, but there are less options. Other cheaper horizontal planners can be found at a Target or any other place that sells office supplies. If you don’t like anything that a store sells, look on Pinterest and Google for printable. I really like Scattered Squirrel ‘s printable planner pages.

*Note: Recollections has two kinds. One you can buy the various inserts you want like calendar, meal planner, budget — that all assemble into a binder. Or they just came out with new spiral bound planners as well.)

Also, find what SIZE works for you. I prefer the Happy Planner Classic size because it is a bit smaller than a sheet of paper, but not so small I can’t fit anything in it. Mini planners, or also known as personal planners, are great for throwing in purses or small areas on the go. If you have large handwriting or a lot to keep track of, a 8.5 by 11/ Legal Letter size might be better for you.

If you are not sure what kind you like do the research, because there are countless horror stories about people who hated the planners they spent upwards of $80 on. Start cheap and establish a system then move up. Also, don’t go crazy and buy a bunch of washi tape and stickers quite yet. Start with just the planner.

2. Find your favorite writing utensil. 

Whether a pen, pencil, or anything else– find what you like to write with. This will make your experience a lot more enjoyable. I am not sponsored to say this, but I would suggest to try Staedler pens in the 0.3mm.
They are a bit more   expensive, but they write smoothly and come in a variety of colors (they are a mix between a pen and a marker).

If you want to start small, try a regular ball-point pen or a Paper Mate Flair. However, be aware of possible bleeding and shadowing through a planner page with the Flairs.

Steadler fineliners

3. Pick a day you plan every week.

For planning to work, consistency is key. You find that you will be very excited for about a week or two and then you’ll forget for one day, then two, and soon you never look at it again. Make it a point to choose a day to plan for the week, because it will make you more consistent and on track to a more organized life. For me I try to make it every Saturday or Sunday. As a student this is helpful because it gives me a chance to look at what’s coming for the next week, but also allows for events to be added.

Ultimately you know yourself best, but don’t be afraid to experiment a bit and try new things.

For more planner related content, and other tips check back here on Wednesdays and Fridays! Also feel free to follow me on Instagram @inloes, where I sometimes post planner stuff too.

This entry was posted in Tips and Tricks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.