Confessions of a Summer Intern: Leaving Texas…for Now?

Amanda begins to wrap up her summer internship. In case you missed it, you can catch up with her time interning in Texas in her June post and July post.

Summer is quickly winding down!! I am excited because I have some great things coming up in the next few weeks (Going to Miami on vacation and going to Connecticut to visit some friends), but I am also disappointed that I have to go back to school. I really enjoy being employed and feeling like I am a part of the working world. I also enjoy earning a paycheck and not paying thousands of dollars per semester for school. Needless to say, I cannot wait to graduate.

Although the internship time is winding down, my assignments, deadlines, and meetings are not. Last Thursday, I had meetings from 8am to 5pm straight – including a lunch meeting! Things are a little hectic right now. I have a deadline this Friday for the book project that I am a little worried about. Although everyone is busting it trying to make the deadline, there are constantly edits that need to happen – understandably so. I really hope we can make the deadline, because if we do then I will be able to see my production in print.

So what else has gone on in the last few crazy weeks? A lot! On Facebook/Twitter, I promised you that I would write about Flo, the iconic spokesperson for Progressive Insurance. I do not work for Progressive, but one of the executives that is in our marketing department used to work there. He is credited with the creation of Flo and in a “fireside chat,” all of the interns were able to hear the story.

Flo was created a few years ago because the creative team at the company felt like shopping for insurance was lacking something big. Unlike other expensive products, insurance is intangible and consumers are not able to “feel” their product unless a claim was needed. Insurance was, and still is, something that people need – not want – and the shopping experience was not fun. The creative team started to brainstorm how insurance would be sold if it were tangible…. What kind of store would it be in? Who would sell it? It was out of this brainstorm that Flo was born.

If you’ve ever seen a Progressive commercial you know that the store is very white – as are all of the products. This was done because it was brainstormed that insurance was “clean” and “tidy” and with the color of white, it created the feeling of cleanliness. On the backdrop of something so “clean,” Flo is able to pop, with her blue apron and red lipstick stealing the show. Flo is eccentric – making insurance more fun that it had ever been – while still delivering a strong product.

Although it isn’t an out-there story, it is still very interesting to see how Flo came to be. I wonder if, when they were brainstorming the character, they had any idea hundreds of people would dress up like the character-to-be on Halloween?

What else to tell you!?

Oh, the other day the CMO popped into my office and invited me and two other interns to a meeting with Google. Imagine our shock! The CMO?! Google?! That adds up to a meeting that CANNOT be missed. Google came in to talk to us about social media and Google. I prepped for the meeting by reading many SEO documents and learning everything I could about Google + (I have an account but don’t really use it). I was so excited for the meeting that when it finally came, I was a little disappointed. I’m not sure if it was because I had built up too many expectations or if it was because it was more like a sales pitch then a meeting. Either way, it was still fun to see what they had to say.

Last week I went to volunteer at the food pantry with a group from work. Iit was nice to get to know people out of the office and work at the same time.

Amanda Volunteer

Tomorrow I have a meeting with an interviewer – No, not a real one sadly. I am mock interviewing with an executive who also happens to be an interns’ dad. He does do real interviews and challenged our group to have one of us do it in front of everyone. I’m a little nervous, but overall I’m fine because I love interviewing. I’ll just have my boyfriend do a couple of practice questions tonight to make sure I’m prepared.

I’m sick of thinking about work (it makes me tired), so I’m going to write about Texas and some of the fun things I’m doing!

First and most importantly: I’m getting a puppy!!!!!!!!! I found a breeder down here that is breeding long hair cream miniature dachshunds… exactly what I have wanted for the last three years. I had a really hard time finding a breeder in Wisconsin, so I am very glad to have found one here. The mother is pregnant right now and is due August 23. I will be able to come get the puppy in October and it will live with my mom until I graduate in December. I can’t wait!!! I went to see the breeder and the mom and dad of my puppies on Saturday. My mom, who is visiting from WI, and my boyfriend went with me. It was about 45 minutes away in Marion, a typical cute small town.

This is my puppy’s mom. She’s pregnant with him now!
Amanda & Dog

My mom visited this weekend, which was great – she did my dishes!  (I enjoyed having her for other reasons too, don’t worry!) We went to the zoo, the Japanese Gardens, a bunch of restaurants, and went horseback riding. We had a great time together and it was nice to have a relaxing weekend.

Amanda & Mom Riding Horses

I don’t know when I’m coming back to Wisconsin yet – I’m trying to squeeze every minute I can out of Texas. The last few weeks should be a blast – especially after August 2nd (my end date), because then I can really play!

It will be sad to leave my internship but am hopeful that this is not the last I will be seeing of the company…. :)