Intern Spotlight: Matthew Granum ’12

Matthew Granum

Matthew Granum, Senior (May 2012)
Major: Information Technology – Network & Security Emphasis
Internship: Information Technology Group Intern with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas

How did you find out about the internship? What interested you in the internship?

I started searching for internships for summer late into the spring semester. In early April, I used indeed.com to start looking for internships around Chicago. I am originally from Chicago, and it is very difficult finding jobs back home while studying at a Wisconsin school. Indeed.com helped greatly in my search. Blue Cross Blue Shield was one of the first employers on the list. I applied, and within about two weeks I secured a position as an Information Technology Group intern.

I would also like to add that Twitter was very helpful in my search. Right after I had found the job on Indeed.com, I saw a tweet from @bcbsil mentioning the job.

Describe your internship experience.

As an Intern, I assisted with researching and documenting many of the current tasks and projects assigned to the Enterprise Architecture Services department. I learned the basic core principles of Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, OK, NM, and TX, and also developed communication and cultural skills within a large corporation. Other tasks included working on consumerization of the enterprise. This included working with iPads and other consumer products for best practice enterprise use.

What did you learn during your internship experience? How did this opportunity relate to your career goals?

In a previous internship in a hospital IT department, I gained valuable technical skills. In my internship at BCBS, I gained valuable corporate skills. These skills included everything from effectively communicating to different types of people while using an enterprise tone of voice, proper documentation of research, and corporate policy.

As an IT student at UW-Whitewater, I really felt the value the business school gave me from business-orientated classes rather than simply IT classes. All students should really try to remember that a business is not run on what your major is. It is a group of different strengths that come together and form a community. It is important to have a fundamental knowledge of every part of a business to be successful.

What advice would you give other students about internships?

Do not set your heart on your dream job or internship. One mistake I recently made is being set on job I was applying for. A position may end up being something you are not looking for, or you might get rejected late in the interview process. Nothing is set in stone. You always should be actively looking for your passions and pursuing them. Until you get the job contract signed, don’t assume anything.

What did Andrew’s supervisor have to say?

I have worked with other interns who just sit back and take on easy tasks just to pass the time, but Matt really jumped right in from the start and not only did he provide value, but he came up with ideas that we are still leveraging today.

To me Matt Granum was much more than an intern, but he really became an extension to my team and his contributions went well beyond that of most interns.

Congratulations Matthew on being selected as UW-Whitewater Intern of the Month for April 2012!

Are you having or have you had an outstanding internship experience like Matthew? Tell employers, faculty, and, of course, fellow UW-W students what makes/made your internship experience so great! Be featured in the Intern Spotlight! To learn more, visit the UWW Intern of the Month Program page.