Welcome Back Warhawks! I trust that the first week of classes went smoothly, and I hope you’re ready to get back into the school groove. Hopefully part of your 2011-2012 plans include an internship (or two).
Here’s a little look at what you might have missed over the summer and what you should definitely take advantage of this fall:
- Confessions of a Summer Intern – For the second summer in a row, I recruited a group of four UWW interns to share their summer internship experiences with the masses. Alysondra, Gabby, Erin, and Sarah were all over the internships “map.” We learned what it’s like to be a virtual intern, we experienced what our nation’s capital has to offer interns, we headed oversees to London, and we got an insider’s view into a local powerhouse. If you missed any of the series this summer, definitely check it out!
- Resume Dr. – Did you know that September is International Update-Your-Resume Month? I didn’t either until I saw it on Twitter last Tuesday. Get in the spirit by checking in at one of our first Resume Dr. events for the year:
- Tuesday, September 20 – 9:00am to Noon – Hyland Hall Atrium
- Wednesday, September 21 – 10:00am to 1:00pm – University Center Concourse
- Thursday, September 22 – 1:00pm to 4:00pm – Andersen Library
- Hawk Career Fair – Don’t miss out on the biggest UWW career fair of the year! Approximately 100 employers attend this annual event to recruit, and many come looking for more than just full-time employees. Internships make up a large segment of the available opportunities. Find the list of fair attendees and opportunities being recruited for on Hawk Jobs: www.uww.edu/career/hawkjobs.php.
- Wednesday, September 28 – Noon to 4:00pm – Williams Center, Gym 1
- Business Professional attire is preferred; minimum of Business Casual is required.
- Be sure to bring plenty of copies of your resume to present to employers…you know, the resume you had doctored up the week before.
- Get some tips on how to work the career fair from our Career Spotlight blog (disregard the event info at the end of the post – it’s from last year).
- Intern Spotlight – Did you have an awesome internship experience this summer? Or are you anticipating that your fall internship is going to rock? Then you definitely need to consider applying to be UWW Intern of the Month and be featured in our “Intern Spotlight”! If you’re not there yet, the Intern Spotlight is still very beneficial. Read UWW interns’ stories and learn from their experiences.
Be sure to hit the ground running when it comes to your internship search. I’ve already met with students planning for Summer 2012! It’s awesome!! Haven’t even come close to thinking that far ahead yet? Get going! The competition is already ahead of you…
If you want some one-on-one advising on your internship search, be sure to schedule an appointment with me, your trusty Internship Coordinator. Just contact Career & Leadership Development at 262-472-1471 or drop by the office (UC 146 – up the ramps/stairs across from Willie’s 360/Freshens-side).
Beyond the in-person meetings, connect with me on Twitter. I tweet about current internship openings, and I share articles and tips to help in your search. I can also answer basic questions there – just send me a “reply” or “direct message” and I’ll get back to you ASAP.
Wishing you all the best for the 2011-2012 academic year and in your quest for an amazing internship!
Photo by Avolore