Confessions of a Summer Intern: Washington DC Is a Fantastic Place for an Internship

Fourth of July in DC - Sarah Suter
Fourth of July in DC

The first month and a half of my internship experience has been amazing! I am continually learning new things and helping others to learn as well. My supervisors as well as other staff at the department are always so encouraging and open to my ideas. There are very few interns from D3 schools such as UW-Whitewater, in fact most interns are attendants of Harvard, Stanford, and Berkley. I was assigned to a team on a different floor of the department, and after doing a great deal of work with them they asked where I attended school. After hearing UW-Whitewater and learning more about it, they were shocked at the work quality and ethic that I had. Literally, they told me that there was not a single intern working on their floor that wasn’t from Harvard or Stanford and that they had pulled me from the Office of the Secretary to do this work because of my previous work quality. It really makes me feel great and proud of my education at UW-Whitewater!

The team and project I have been working on very much falls under the US Department of Education’s Investing in Innovation grant. I have been filing, entering, and redistributing applications for individuals interested in being peer reviewers for this grant process. The grant, in the end, will provide funding to schools that want to invest in their district to move forward for success. I sit in on important meetings and play a rather large role in these meetings because I am the one working behind the scenes, knowing the process and at what stage applications are at.

Sarah Suter's DC Internship - Lincoln Memorial
Sight Seeing – The Lincoln Memorial

Washington DC is a fantastic place for an internship. No matter how long you’ve been in the area working, there are always new things to do or places to see. I still spend weekends sight seeing with my new intern friends. The days can get quite hot, but that’s when a museum always makes for a great option. The one thing that I did venture into while here in DC was flying trapeze lessons. Yes it sounds crazy and quite circus-like, but it honestly is so much fun! A friend convinced me to go and I have gone twice since–I highly recommend it, even if you have a fear of heights like myself!

Sarah Suter on the Trapeze

The most exciting time so far this summer was most definitely the Fourth of July! What could be better than spending the Nation’s birthday near the capital? My friend from home came to visit for the weekend and we spent the day watching the parade, partaking in Fourth of July festivities, and ending the night to the most amazing fireworks I have ever seen!!

In case you missed it, read Sarah’s first post about her DC internship!

2 thoughts on “Confessions of a Summer Intern: Washington DC Is a Fantastic Place for an Internship

1. Glad you had a great summer Sarah! DC IS a great place to do an internship!

No surprise to me that you’re giving those Ivy Leaguers a run for their money. In my experience, sometimes the best interns come from lesser known schools, and the worst come from the big name schools. Not always, but a lot of times that is how it works out!

Congrats on being such a great intern!

2. Thank you so much! It was surprising how many times that comment was made as I told others where I went to school! Thanks for the encouragement!