Confessions of a Summer Intern: Fun & Hard Work

The Confessions of a Summer Intern are coming to an end. To be completely honest, these last few weeks have been the longest and toughest of my internship thus far. The Rock County 4-H Fair was a success and it was great to see all of our hard work put into action. But I will never forget the blood, sweat and tears that I put into making the fair great.

I was asked to secure a display of the digestive system for an informational area for kids about how the digestive system works. I got in contact with Nasco in Fort Atkinson, (where one of my fellow bloggers is doing their internship), and rented a 3 foot, 3-D display with all the “juicy” details. I then had to make a “kid friendly” display about how the food goes in one end and comes out the other. After getting all of my edits done, the display board took 3 hours to put together.

I think I forgot to mention that I also had to put together an informational board about Lupus and the Signature Knee Replacement with model. Needless to say, I did a lot of “working from home” prior to the start of fair. Three interns working on displays and projects, and very limited space means that you sometimes have to take your work home with you. When my projects were complete, I asked my fellow interns if there was anything they needed help with. One of them had a death in the family and was unable to finish one of her projects before leaving for North Dakota. I stepped up and finished her board as well.

I thought all the work prior to fair was hard, but the fair was where the real work began. I spent the first three days making sure that all of Rachel’s product lines were ready to be displayed on Thursday. I got in contact with the MercyCare people, the Health Mall, and some of the Marketing Specialists to make sure that they were ready to go. Thursday I got to experience the fair for the first time in 10 years. I had to set up my displays, make sure that the lift chair that I had ordered was delivered, check to see if the water jugs were full, that the kid prizes were full and most importantly, that I had everything set for the volunteers. I was in charge of printing off the food coupons for all of the staff and volunteers who helped out at the fair. It was a long day, but I learned a lot.

I went on Friday as well, but things were a little more laid back. My buddy Street Smart made another appearance and I was a hit. I had my picture taken with kids from all over Rock County and even a baby that was fascinated by my cheesy smile and stunning bicycle helmet.

StreetSmart at the Fair
Street Smart with fellow intern Kristi.

My last day at the fair was Saturday night. I ran into a few old friends and made some new ones as well, but what I didn’t realize when I signed up to work was that I was the one who was representing the department. It was my job to make sure the volunteers signed in, the water bottles were full, that everyone got a break, that the games were in full swing, the tent was picked up, and that all the curtains got put back up at the end of the night. I had fun and had a great group of people working with me.

After the fair was over, I took it easy the next few days. Looking back, all of the hard work that I put into it was totally worth it. I had the Director of Marketing Department personally thank me for all the hard work that I had put in. I stepped up when the department needed someone to fill in the gaps and was willing to put in the extra hours if needed.

For now, I am working on games and activities for the Bert Blain Heart Walk that is taking place at Palmer Park on August 29th. I get to walk with some of my fellow Mercy Interns, as well my husband, brother and father. I hope this event will be as successful as the fair, and I think that it will be a great way to end my internship.

Allison Lindsey2

This summer has been one of fun and hard work, and I am so grateful to the Mercy Health System marketing department for taking me on. They challenged me to do things and to become more independent. They have given me opportunities to meet doctors, nurses, cancer survivors, and put together some of the most informational and interesting displays I have ever constructed. I appreciate all that the marketing team has done for me, and I hope to someday work with them in the future.

Read Allison’s Entire Journey:

1. Meet Allison Lindsey
  2. The Heat Is On!

Other Summer Intern Confessions:

Krista Wolfe

Ellen Hatfield

Jon McGuff