Confessions of a Summer Intern: The Heat Is On!

So, the slow starting internship has definitely become the crazy part of my summer, which is saying a lot if you know anything about my “real” job. For those of you who don’t, I work with kids that have mental and behavioral problems, who like to act up and hit anything they can swing at.

Henry Palmer Building
The Henry Palmer Building, where I am interning.

The fair is drawing near and all the things that I have been put in charge of have to get wrapped up. I am also working on a side project with my mentor that is taking up some time as well. So in addition to making phone calls, drafting up coupons for discounts, emailing back and forth between doctors and distributors, I am getting testimonials from patients who were pleased with the service that they received from Mercy Health System.

Rock County Fairgrounds
The Fairgrounds

I feel as though I have become more independent. Rachel can give me a project and I go and get it done. I am not afraid to ask questions and always like constructive criticism. Recently, I have had other specialists in the department come and ask for my help. I had the opportunity to go back to my high school roots and brush off my mascoting skills. I was asked if I would be willing to be “Street Smart,” Mercy’s safety superhero, at a Beloit Snapper’s baseball game. It gave me a chance to represent my internship and also an inside advantage. I felt like if I did this, dress up like a cartoon character who wears a bike helmet, it would show that I am willing to do what it takes and help me to stand out. After the game, I was told that I am liked in the department because of my great attitude.

StreetSmart
Snappy & Street Smart

There have been challenges, there have been some tedious projects, but I have to keep reminding myself about the reason I’m there. I am preparing myself for a career. I feel like I have to do the things that no one else will do to stand out and show that I am worth the risk. I want to make the most out of this internship. I am not planning on taking on too much that I can’t handle it, but I want to do enough that I keep busy and do a great job. This opportunity was given to me because they saw something in me that shows potential.

I’m excited about the next few weeks with the fair and seeing all the hard work that we have done putting it all together. The interns are also working on the Bert Blain Heart Walk at the end of August, which is going to be one of those projects that is going to need a lot of attention, since we can’t focus on it right now due to the fair. Until then…I will be keeping my head up and looking forward to seeing my hard work in action.

In case you missed it…

Confessions of a Summer Intern: Meet Allison Lindsey

One thought on “Confessions of a Summer Intern: The Heat Is On!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention New on the UWW Internships Blog: : Confessions of a Summer Intern: The Heat Is On! -- Topsy.com