Confessions of a Summer Intern: Meet Krista Wolfe

Krista Wolfe

“It is better to be high-spirited even though one makes more mistakes, than to be narrow-minded and all too prudent.” -Vincent Van Gogh

It’s my philosophy on life. It can be applied to every aspect of life. School, friends, relationships, art, and of course, work.

My name is Krista Wolfe, and I’m a Marketing major with a French minor at UW-Whitewater who is graduating this fall. I’ve always known that I wanted to work in Marketing, and I have always known I wanted to have an internship in college. What I didn’t know was how to get there. Laura helped me out with that through her UW-W Internships page on Twitter. She led me to a networking event which led me to a couple of different companies.

Through that event I was actually able to receive two internship offers. I did my research on both companies, talked to Laura, and thought about what I wanted to get out of my internship. I decided that the best fit for me would be at Pentair where I would be a Marketing Intern at their residential water filtration facility in Glendale, WI. It might not sound so glamorous, but it’s pretty awesome to be honest.

Pentair was the best choice for me because we have a lot of the same values and because they offered the opportunity that most fit my goals. I’ve always had a passion for the French language and culture which is why I chose to minor in it. I had a great opportunity to go to Paris in May with a Travel Study class here at UW-Whitewater which expanded my desire to learn more about international marketing at my internship (specifically with French speaking countries) so I could begin to develop skills to use when I enter the workforce. Pentair has an office in France and also does work with French speaking Canada, so there was a definite allure there.

I also wanted to be able to develop general professional skills that will help me in whatever career path I might wander down. Networking opportunities and chances to work on a variety of projects were all important factors for me and things that Pentair was offering.

I started my internship on June 1st and boy was I intimidated. I’ve been working since I was 15, but I’ve never worked in a corporate office environment before. It felt like I was the new kid at school. I worried about if they would like me, what kind of work I would be doing, if I would be good enough at using different types of software, and if they would even acknowledge me. I was terrified that I’d have that job where I was just “the intern.” Turned out all of my worries went away within a few hours. People already knew who I was before I even walked in the door, and I was a real person – I was Krista. Everybody was incredibly welcoming and friendly and it felt great to be there.

Krista Wolfe

Me kissing Oscar Wilde’s grave.

In my first week, I sat down with my boss, Sam Karge, and we discussed my projects for the summer with a few other co-workers. It was a pretty long list to start, and it’s still growing. I was excited and motivated to dive in, though, and show that I could be a great asset for the team, that I was the right choice.

My project list is constantly changing, and I’m doing more and more things as times goes on. I might be working on a social media plan one day and surveying out in the field the next. It’s always something new and always something exciting. The variety keeps me in high-spirits, and I can’t wait to see what’s next.

One thought on “Confessions of a Summer Intern: Meet Krista Wolfe

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Confessions of a Summer Intern: Meet Krista Wolfe : UW-Whitewater Student Internships Blog -- Topsy.com