Confessions of a Summer Intern: Meet Ellen Hatfield

Ellen Hatfield En Route to Internship in Oregon

Hello everyone! Before I introduce myself, I just want to thank Laura for letting me share my internship experience this summer with all of you.

Okay, here are the nitty gritty details. My name is Ellen Hatfield. I will be starting my 3rd, and final, year of graduate school in September here at UW-Whitewater. I am earning my Masters of Science in Counseling with emphasis in Higher Education. A year-long internship is required as part of my program and I will be starting at UW-Madison in late August. Most of my experience in higher education centers on career counseling.

To be more marketable, I decided to seek an extra internship experience in another area of Student Affairs. The other goals I had for seeking a summer experience included the opportunity to travel extensively around the country and to see if I really could “go anywhere” for a job. I started my internship search by deciding on a geographic location. My ideal areas were the Northeast U.S. (extending as far south as Washington, D.C. and to Ohio to the west) and the Pacific Northwest. I don’t think I could’ve picked more extreme locations.

I found potential people to contact through a membership directory of a professional organization I belong to. I emailed these contacts, after doing a decent amount of research about their schools, to ask about opportunities that were available or that could be created. I received a mix of positive, negative, and no responses. Before long I had a phone interview and offer from Eastern Oregon University in La Grande, OR. I will be working with the entire Student Affairs division on various projects. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to thank them enough for creating this opportunity for me.

My anticipation for this experience in Oregon has been building since early March. “Excited” I think is an understatement. Ultimately, I know I will be learning a lot from the people I will be working with and that I have a lot to offer them as well. I am looking forward to sharing this experience with you throughout the summer. If you want an update a little sooner, you can check out my own blog or follow me on Twitter.

Next week, meet Jon McGuff in the Confessions of a Summer Intern series!

One thought on “Confessions of a Summer Intern: Meet Ellen Hatfield

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Confessions of a Summer Intern: Meet Ellen Hatfield : UW-Whitewater Student Internships Blog -- Topsy.com