Intern Spotlight: Danielle Krizan ’11

Danielle Krizan

Danielle Krizan, Junior (May 2011)
Major: Public Relations
Minor: Journalism
Internship: Social Media/Public Relations Intern with the American Heart Association of Wisconsin

Describe your internship experience. Where are you interning?

I am the social media/public relations intern for the American Heart Association in Wisconsin. My duties include creating and managing social media pages including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and photo sharing sites. On the public relations side, I write press releases and interactive news releases for upcoming events. I also get to volunteer and help with media relations during major events.

What interested you in this internship?

What I love about this internship is that I’ve been able to create almost all of our social media pages from scratch. I also love that projects change every day. One day I can be doing a lot of writing and the next day I’m running down Martin Luther King Blvd. in a red dress taking pictures by the Capitol. The favorite project I’ve worked on so far was National Wear Red Day. The Red Dress Dash that took place in Madison on February 4th was truly an event I will remember for my entire life, and it helped me realize how my work can make a difference in people’s lives.

What are you doing in your internship?

In my internship, I am creating social media pages, developing content, and researching the most effective ways to track our pages. The pages I help manage include:

I’ve also helped script radio and TV public service announcements, and promote events via Twitter and Facebook.

What have you learned during your internship?

During my internship, I have learned numerous new ways to manage Facebook pages and how to utilize tabs on those pages. I’ve also been improving my writing skills and become more confident working with the media side of public relations. I’ve also learned what I am truly passionate about and that I can merge my love of social media and volunteering and turn it into a career.

What strategies did you use to find your internship?

I found out about my internship through my PR professor, Ann Knabe. She passed along the information to me because she thought it would be something I would enjoy. She was right.

What advice would you give to students exploring internships or beginning their search for an internship?

USE TWITTER! So many students are either afraid to use Twitter or don’t understand it, but it is a great way to find out about internships and connect with the organizations they are looking to work for. I encourage them to use Big Shoes Network if they are looking for internships, or jobs, in communications or marketing.

Other thoughts or advice?

Don’t be afraid to put yourself out on the internet. Create a website and blog and don’t be afraid to promote those on your social media sites. Also, watch what you are posting on your Facebook! It’s good to show that you have a social life, but you also want to show that you are responsible.

One thought on “Intern Spotlight: Danielle Krizan ’11

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Intern Spotlight: Danielle Krizan ‘11 : UW-Whitewater Student Internships Blog -- Topsy.com