Did you know that you can access many of software packages offered in the General Access Labs remotely from your own computer? With a VPN connection to the UWW network, you can even access the software off-campus! All that’s required is access to a Windows or Mac computer, and a high-speed internet connection.
Some of the software available to you through Virtual Lab includes:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Autodesk (Mac)
- Blender (Mac)
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- JAWS 7 (Windows)
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Wacom (Mac)
- …and more!
For more information regarding Virtual Lab, check out the following link: http://www.uww.edu/icit/services/virtual-lab
You may know that you have access to Lynda for free as a student here at UW-Whitewater, but did you know that they offer courses on topics beyond technology?
The Business Skills section covers topics such as:
- Holding Yourself Accountable
- Organization Design
- Sales: Closing a Complex Sale
- Creating a Positive Customer Experience
The Communication section includes courses on:
- Communicating in Times of Change
- Unconscious Bias
- Writing Formal Business Letters and Emails
- Anger Management
The Leadership section has video tutorials that can help you with:
- Strategic Thinking
- Acting Decisively
- Delivering Bad News Effectively
- Leading without Formal Authority
Lynda can teach you a whole lot more than you might have originally thought! Take advantage of this amazing resource by checking out Lynda.com!
Class enrollment season is almost upon us!
Everybody knows that they can sign up for their classes by going to WINS in an internet browser, but did you know that there’s a WINS mobile app on both Apple and Android?
WINS Mobile features include:
- Class Search – Search for classes, find available sections, add them to your cart, and enroll directly from the app.
- Schedule – View your course schedule, including location and instructor.
- Grades – View your grades, and check your GPA (both this term and cumulative).
- What’s Happening Today – A notification feature that reminds you of important tasks, such as overdue To-Do List items.
- To-Do List – Displays the list of tasks that require immediate attention, and the tasks needed to complete them.
- Holds – View the holds on your account.
WINS Mobile is completely free to all students and can be found on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store by searching for “UWW WINS Mobile”.
For more information on how to use the WINS Mobile app, check out the following link: https://www.uww.edu/registrar/wins/student-mobile
Ever needed to find a group member for a project, but you don’t know anyone? Ever wanted to start a study group for your class, but you don’t know their emails?
Using the D2L Classlist, you can quickly find the names and emails of your classmates, as well as send a bulk email to everyone at once!
Send an email to everyone in your class by following these simple steps:
- Navigate to the course on D2L.
- Select More Tools on the blue navigation bar and click on Classlist.
- Click on the Email Classlist button at the top.
- Click on the All, Instructors, or Students tab to choose the email’s recipients.
- Click on the blue Send Email button at the bottom to open a new window.
- Add or remove any emails from the BCC box as needed.
- Give your email a Subject, and a Body.
- Click the blue Send button.
The email will be sent using your student email account, so the recipients will see your name as the sender.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to Contact D2L Support.
What’s up, Warhawks? We’re already halfway done with the first month of the Fall 2017 semester!
Returning students have probably used LockDown Browser at least once during their college career, but for those of you who haven’t: LockDown Browser is a web browser, like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, but it only allows you to access Desire2Learn (D2L).
The purpose of LockDown Browser is to block the ability to open new tabs or windows in order to discourage cheating while taking a quiz on D2L. Instructors can mark their quizzes in D2L to require LockDown Browser in order to open them.
Prior to this semester, students had launch LockDown Browser from their computer’s desktop, log into D2L, and then manually navigate to their course in order to open the quiz. This process has been simplified!
Now, all you have to do in order to take your quiz in LockDown Browser is:
- Open the quiz in your preferred web browser
- Click the blue “Launch LockDown Browser” button. (If the browser is not installed, you will be prompted to install it)
- Take the quiz
The button launches LockDown Browser, logs you in, and automatically navigates to the quiz for you!
For more information on getting started with LockDown Browser, please visit LockDown Browser: Getting Started (Students).