Kaltura Media Migration: D2L -> Canvas

As of May 28th, 2019, all Kaltura media that was created by instructors and accessed with Desire2Learn (D2L) between September 1st, 2018 and May 21st, 2019 has been migrated to Canvas.

This does not impact media material that is located on Vbrick Rev (Streaming.uww.edu).

We have created a Canvas Media Management Tools guide to help explain the best use cases for each of the media management tools available at UW-Whitewater.

If you have additional questions regarding the Kaltura Media Migration, please contact the Learning Technology Center.

What does this migration mean for me?

Inside of Canvas, you can access the “My Media” tool by clicking on the “Account” item on the left global navigation menu, and then by selecting “My Media” from the account menu.  Within this interface, you will be able to create, edit, delete and view all of your Kaltura media that exists within Canvas.

From the editing toolbar in Canvas, you can click on the “More Tools” icon highlighted in the image below, and select “My Media” to embed videos in your content.

Can I still use Kaltura CaptureSpace?

Kaltura CaptureSpace has been discontinued as of June 1st, 2019 and is no longer supported by the vendor.  There is a new tool called Kaltura Capture which has the same functionality as CaptureSpace.  Visit the Kaltura Capture guide to get started.

What if I can’t find all of my media content in Canvas?

If there is video content missing that you had within D2L, contact the Learning Technology Center and we can migrate that over as well. Currently, we only moved over media that was created by instructors and accessed since September 1st, 2018.

Why was it necessary to migrate my media?

With the launch of Canvas, there was also a new Kaltura instance that was put in place by UW-System. This is totally separate from the Kaltura instance that has been connected with D2L.