Week 3

Another week has flown by. I’m still exercising (walking), kayaking and reading. This past week I finished two more books:

Beaneath the Bonfire by Nickolas Butler. I haven’t read many books of short-stories. However, I loved his Butler’s Shotgun Lovesongs so I decided t give it a try. Butler has written a dozen or so interesting, well-written, fun and many times sad stories here. They are smart and varied in scope. Well worth a read.

Drinking With Men: A Memoir by Rosie Schaap. This book was listed as a must read for summer. I’m drawn to memoirs for some reason so I checked it out. Drinking with Men is the story of Schaap’s life and how it revolved around bars. As a sociologist, I found the book interesting, as it highlights the social aspects of bar culture (somewhat similar to Ray Oldenburg’s Third Place). Schaap nicely interweaves her life with various bar venues and the ways in which they have complimented her life. Her writing is witty and she has lived an interesting life thus far.