One thing at a time…

I’ve been reading Ethan Nichtern’s book entitled One City: A Declaration of Interdependence. As usual in the month of November, I’ve become busy at work so it’s been hard to carve out time to read. And this morning was no different. I woke up at 7AM, took a shower and prepared some breakfast. After fixing my second cup of coffee, I sat down and read Nichtern’s chapter on multi-tasking. It pains me to admit that for most of the chapter my mind wandered to other things like today’s schedule, teaching, a student event this evening, etc. You get the drift (pun intended), right? And then I read this quote from Nichtern on page 103:

“If we want to truly accomplish many things in our life, then we need to try to do one thing at a time. That might be the best five syllable mantra ever: one thing at a time. Cook soup when you’re cooking soup. Write an email when you’re writing an email. Listen to Stevie Wonder when you’re listening to Stevie Wonder. After all, Stevie Wonder deserves your undivided attention.”

Good food for the soul…