Juvenile Prison Scandal

This VIDEO is a pretty interesting story on juvenile prisons. I’ve read some pretty crazy one’s but this was rates right up there with the best of them.

Thoughts?

3 responses to “Juvenile Prison Scandal”

1. Honestly, I was more surprised that the judge got caught and convicted than I was surprised that the incarcerating kids for money actually happened. It’s unfortunate that thinking has come to this, but it’s just the way society is. Now, I didn’t watch the entire video (time restraints)so I don’t know if there was information I missed, but I’m surprised that it went on so long before parents started to take notice of this. How is it that something this serious went so long without anyone knowing about it? There are just so many questions that come to mind when I think about this. Are the kids who fell victim to the judge receiving anything for their time served? How long did the judge get sentenced?

2. Ashley Hopkins says:

First off, as a mother, I would be devastated is something like this were to happen to my son. Furthermore, to take advantage of children for money (cash for kids) is just outrageous! I found it very sad how the police would not question these arrests within their own morals. It seems to me the police were also doing it for money and were not thinking about the families. If it was their child who was taken advantage of, they would definitely think twice about the situation and not go any further. This is one on the most selfish things anybody can do. Children do not have a voice, and from the looks of this video the parents did not have a voice either. I found it very disturbing how an athlete student went in and out of jail, and in the end he shot himself in the heart, killing himself.

3. Pete Glowinski says:

For me this video highlights how necessary it is to know what your rights are. Each of these families got lost in the bureaucracy of the system, and was blinded by their faith that it was going to treat them fairly when first approached by it. Had they known what their rights are from the first point of contact by the police, I doubt a lot of stories like these would have happened. After getting bullied by the police and courts to waive their (arguably) 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, and maybe 7th amendment rights, they all went to court expecting a different process and just went through the motions they were told. Some thought they were there to get a public defender and boom, got their kid snatched away with their ignorance. Especially, the mom who cited her own experience and familiarity with court terminology. Why was she so oblivious? I’m not trying to blame the parents here, but between them, the kids, and the criminal justice system- I don’t really see who else would be in a better position to act in the child’s interests, seeing as how the kids can not make legal decisions for themselves. I thought this video was also a good example of our assembly line style of justice. Stack charges, get a plea, and hand down a sentence, all as quickly and efficiently as possible. Hardly anybody gets a trial. The biggest feature about this story, the “cash for kids,” surprises me the least. If there is one thing that is for certain, as with death and taxes, is that if there is money to be made somewhere, someone will find a way to make it no matter the litigious or moral barriers.