The 75 Club

I don’t have a death wish and I’m not terminally ill. So when you read this ARTICLE, please don’t report me to the Crisis Intervention hotline. I read this article the other day and found it really interesting. I like technology, but I’m not sure I want to live much past the age of 75 either. The author makes several really nice points about age and technology and quality of life.

Thoughts?

7 responses to “The 75 Club”

1. Ashley Hopkins says:

After reading this article, I still would want to live older than 75 years old. I may not be that good with technology then, or be able to run a mile, but I still believe I will have a happy life. I have a family oriented type of person and I would love to see many more of my generations born than just my grandchildren.

2. I must admit that when I seen this article I thought what kind of crazy person would name the exact age in which they want to die. However, after reading the article I can very well see the point he is making. Though the increase in medical knowledge expanded life expectancy higher than it had ever been, the author makes the point that it simply prolongs the dying process. He gave some shocking statistics that helped make his point. All in all, I somewhat agree with what the author is saying. I wouldn’t want to live past the days when I experience physical and/or mental limitations. But, at the same time I don’t think I would name an exact number and say I want to die at this age. I don’t see anything wrong with not wanting to live once your health begins to decline because it changes you as a person.

3. Kelsey Nunley says:

When I saw this article, my first thought was this man is crazy! After reading it, I definitely changed my mind. He made a lot of very valuable points, and it I kept thinking about my great grandmas; and how different they are/were. I have one great grandma that is going to be celebrating her 91st birthday soon, lives on her own and although she has slowed down tremendously I think she still has a good life. My other great grandma was exactly how the author described. She aged poorly, she relayed almost completely on her daughter, and she couldn’t walk and couldn’t remember her children. That isn’t a life that I would want to live at all, and he was right that is how I remember her. He has valid points throughout his whole argument, but I also don’t think I would put an age to when I want to die. When I get older and begin to see myself slow down I think I would begin to reconsider what I did medically as well. No one wants to live in pain, and I feel like a lot of elderly do; but when is it no longer worth it?

4. Chelsea Bredeson says:

I found this article to be very interesting. I agree with the statements made in this article about how we are so obsessed with the idea of slowing the age process down and doing certain things to elongate our lifespans. However, people who take vitamins everyday and exercise and do mental puzzles, I don’t necessarily think all people partake in those things to elongate their life. I think that’s just part of living a healthy lifestyle. Personally, I don’t think I would want my life to just be over at 75. Unless I was terminally ill, it’s still life. Although i’m sure he’s very grateful for his life and his health, I don’t think its really fair to just say ” I want to be done with life once I reach 75.” Being old isn’t like the be all end all. It’s not like once you hit 50 your life now sucks. Yeah your mental processes might slow down or your bones are rickety, but it’s still your life. You shouldn’t want to just quit out at 75 because you don’t want the risk having these ‘limitations’. To each his own.

5. Nehlsen says:

I disagree with him wholeheartedly. I will do the best with the time given to me, and I would hope to see my great and great great grandchildren, to see them grow and mature. This is something not many around the world or in history past have had available to them, and I will be sure to ensure it’s positive use. It is our responsibility as a senior to teach and guide those generations below us. If we live only to 75 and only for our self, then what has the life been to begin with? Does he not wish to see his grandchildren achieve?

6. Jasmine Austin says:

I found this article not as interesting as I thought it was going to be. He is dead set that he wants to live to 75…okay. I agree that 75 is a good age where by then hopefully you’re satisfied with your life but to make this whole deal about it and hurt your friends and family by thinking this way is kind of depressing. The fact that the increase of health care gives us a longer life expectancy is amazing to me. He thinks 75 is a good age to die whereas I think 100 is a good age, and can only hope the increase on health care will continue.

7. Pete Glowinski says:

I’m not sure whether to say this guy is afraid of life, or afraid of death. For this author, I suppose 75 is the age that the line between life and death is not so clear. Putting a finishing line on life is a strange concept. One one hand it’s a noble desire to want to be content with your life’s accomplishments by a certain time. It’s a goal like any other. Though, I don’t really care for his “quit while you’re ahead” attitude. While there is a grey area in old age where living may not be as satisfying or rewarding as it used to be, I think it’s sad this man thinks he will have nothing to look forward to after 75. He seems to be a bit of a control freak to me. Maybe he’s not afraid of life or death, just afraid of uncertainty and being out of control. Maybe that’s why he wants to have a funeral for himself before he dies. Strange guy.